Thursday, April 27, 2023

Character Creation: CHOMP!

I find myself with a little time, but only a little, so.

The Game: CHOMP!
The Publisher: Zombie Dog Games
Degree of Familiarity: I've seen a shitload of zombie movies, does that count?
Books Required: Just the one

I mean, I dunno. The stated goal of this game was that the designers wanted to make a fun, fast-paced unique game. It's by no means unique (it's just a bare-bones version of All Flesh Must Be Eaten, except not really even that, because there is nothing specifically zombie-related about the game), but except for that, it's a simple, beer-n-pretzels little zombie game, and that's fine.

Basically this is just a tactical combat engine with some zombies pasted on. You could make them aliens or Smurfs or penguins or whatever, it'd work more or less the same. So let's make a survivor! 

First thing we do is roll for Skill Focus, that is, which overarching combat approach or ability is my survivor's most important one. A roll of 4 gives me Athletics, so I get a +1 to Athletics and I move on to the Athletics page.

So, characters have professions but it's just set dressing, what you did before the Rise happened. I'll say my guy was a Tai Chi instructor, and his name is Scout. He probably smells of patchouli and talks about "energy" a lot. I hate him already.

Well, actually, the next thing we do is roll for a trait (once at level 1 and again at level 3, though I'm puzzled as to why a game that explicitly makes characters disposable has a leveling system - oh, wait, you level at the end of a scene, that's OK then). I roll and get Graceful, so I get +1 to Attack and Defense.

Now I get one Tactic, but I can pretty much take any one that I have the prereqs for. I think I just want Cat-Like Reflexes, though (I get a +2 to any Athletics roll).

And that's pretty much it! Scout has a beard, long hair (man bun!), tends to wear loose shirts and shorts, and he usually wore flip-flops but that's a bad idea since the zombies started coming around, so he's switched to moccasins. I'm sure he has some theory about why the dead are rising and I'm sure it's inane. 

No comments:

Post a Comment