Monday, March 6, 2023

Character Creation: Gun & Slinger

Rooty-tooty-bang-bang-shooty! 

The Game: Gun&Slinger
The Publisher: Dinoberry Press
Degree of Familiarity: None
Books Required: Just the one

Weird little game, this. It's set up for two players and a GM (though of course you can play GMless, too, which seems to be replacing "involves index cards" as the mark of an indie game these days). One player plays the Slinger, and the other plays the Gun. No, really. 

The setting is post-apocalyptic. Something ate the sky some time back, now there's only a sun and one pale moon that just wasn't there before. There are monsters, and the vibe is very exploration meets lone wanderer of the wasteland. The game spends a lot of time apologizing for being inspired by Westerns, which I think is silly considering it's not even set on Earth, but whatever. 

It's also card-based, and uses mechanics inspired by both blackjack and Go Fish. It looks like it should work, though of course the rubber meets the road at the table. I'd run this, I think, if I had two players that would be into it. I will say that the list of "touchstones" (you can just say "inspiration," guy) includes a bunch of stuff I absolutely love, including Pitch Black, Subnautica, and Nausicaa and The Valley of the Wind

SO ANYWAY. Clearly my first choice in chargen would be "slinger or gun?" I'm gonna go with gun. 

Ugh. Everything in this book is so wibbly. It's written...not exactly stream-of-consciousness, but more like as it occurred to the writer. The result is that terms get used before they get explained, there's not really a solid step-by-step in chargen, and, as usual, there are several different variations on play but not one good, comprehensible example of play. 

Anyway, let's just go with what's on the sheet, how 'bout. Name - well, I'm a gun, but I'm sentient and the Slinger knows it. Let's say he calls me "Dee." Pronouns - it/its, thanks. Maybe Dee had a human form and a gender once, but it doesn't think of itself as human anymore. 

Form - the assumption is normally a revolver, based on the artwork, but there's that cool gun that Vincent Cassel uses in Brotherhood of the Wolf with the curved stock that wraps around his arm to steady it. I kinda dig that, so we'll say I'm a shotgun with a curvy stock.

I'm an agent of...I can be an agent of Trickery, Fury, or Peace, and each gives me a different kewl power. I think I want Fury, that lets me set things on fire in my immediate area.

Stats: I have Embodiment of Magic, Sharp for a Gun, and Just a Little Bit Mean. I get 2, 1, 0 in these. I'll put 0 into Just a Little Bit Mean, 2 into Sharp for a Gun, and 1 into Embodiment of Magic. 

There is a rune on my barrel, what is it? Oh, Fire & Fury, please. I start with Limited Strength, and there's nothing I can find that says if I start with any Connection, so I'll assume I don't and just leave it blank. 

And that's it, y'all. I think Dee remembers more about his human life than it lets on, but in human life it messed with magical forces beyond its control and becoming the Gun was a way to dodge a much worse fate (shades of Alphonse Elric). 

No comments:

Post a Comment