Friday, March 6, 2026

Character Creation: Heaven's Open Door - Diamond Class

Every time I see this book, I can't get "Love Is An Open Door" from Frozen out of my head, so I'm inclined to hate this game right from the jump.

The Game: Heaven's Open Door - Diamond Class
The Publisher: Monkeyfun Studios
Degree of Familiarity: None
Books Required: Just the one


Cover's pretty dope, right? There's a bit of Morse down at the bottom that spells the author's name; not sure what the binary along the left side is. The game itself is...I dunno. 

I guess it's not bad? It looks like a perfectly serviceable Alien or Event Horizon emulator. Every time you fail a roll, a counter ticks down to a space oddity, which is a neat idea. But the writing is really dry, the setting is present but it's pretty standard for the type of sci-fi and did not hook me, and, one of my personal bugaboos, there's no character sheets. I don't know, that always says to me that the writers of the game never intended anyone to actually play their game (games like Fiasco or Home by Dark where you'd explicitly meant to use index cards aside). 

Anyway, chargen is, at least, quick, and I have a few moments before I have to leave for work, so let's see if I can get this done. 

First off, we choose a vocation. I did a character not long ago for Hypersleep Terminated, which is similar in some ways, and made a captain, so I don't want Command. I don't want Corporate, because those guys suck. Let's make a Pilot, sure. I get to use a d10 in Speed whenever I'm operating a starbound craft (that's a good thing), I get a quick-release blade to cut myself out of my straps if need be, I get some contraband, and I get a personal navigation thumb drive. I also get to roll on a "flight experience" table, so let's do that real quick..."routine travel." My guy basically got into doing one particular route and got real comfortable doing that. 

Well, heck, let's say he did that because he has a family. Rekell Lonegan never had grandiose dreams of doing daring dogfights or exploring the outer reaches. He learned to fly transports, he took jobs that allowed him to send money to his wife and his sons, and that's was fine. And then one of the corps (there are a bunch in the book, and I think if I were playing this I'd pick a corp that figured into someone else's backstory) bought out the company he was working for and his route was given to an AI pilot, but don't worry, we've got plenty of work for non-AI pilots! 

Rekell knows that means he'll need to be away long, but what's he going to do? Quit and start over? 

Anyway, I need to assign dice to my Attributes, which are Nerve, Speed, and Brute. I get a d10, a d8, and a d6. Well, I think I want the d6 in Nerve; Rekell doesn't strike me as a particular strong force of personality. I'll put the d10 in Brute and the d8 in Speed. That's easy. 

What do I want the contraband to be? It's meant to be a chemical pick-me-up. Let's say Rekell accidentally pocketed a bottle of his son's attention meds; he didn't mean to bring them, but if he really needed to he could use them.

Otherwise, I just need a description and a callsign. Rekell is in his early 40s, but looks younger - he use to spend the boring stretches of his route working out, and he's pretty buff. He shaves his head (he's balding and he hates the way it grows in now), he's got grey in his beard, and he's got two animals - a tiger and a wombat, his sons' favorite animals - tattooed on his back. 

The other guys he works with now started calling him "Mailman," because he was working a steady route for so long. That's not flattering, but since they could have started calling him "Wombat," he'll take it. 

That'll do it!

Name: Rekell Lonegan 
Callsign: Mailman
Attributes: Brute d10, Nerve d6, Speed d8
Assets: Quick-Release Blade, Contraband Pills, Personal Navigation Thumb-Drive 

No comments:

Post a Comment