You might think this is a Wild West style game, and I might have preferred that.
The Game: Greenhorns
The Publisher: Spicy Tuna
Degree of Familiarity: None
Books Required: Just the one
As might be evident from the cover, this game kinda falls into the same bucket as Troika! or similar art-book style games. The interior is all white text on blue, and it's hard to read. The concept of the game seems pretty cool, if weird: There's a sentient machine being called the Creatora Machinika, it's creating planets in order to fill up the void of space, it's kind of merge with Kruxor, you play Kruxorians helping its mission. There's more to it than that; this is unfortunately one of those games that doesn't quite make clear what we're going for here, but what the heck, let's give it a shot.
OK, I'm a little annoyed with this game. Here's step one of chargen:
Baed on that, how many Skill Slots do you think you get? "Class" is singular in the first paragraph, and in the second it says "fill one Skill Slot". The rest of that sentence kinda seems to imply more than one, but it's never stated.
Now, look at this from the character sheet:
I blew that up pretty big. It's very small on the sheet, and it's not in the text of the book. And there's no example of chargen. Oh, also, there are four classes, except there are really eight, but only four for chargen, but maybe eight? What's the difference? I don't know. There's a blurb (a splat page, if you will) for each class, but no handshake text that tells us what "class" means in this context.
Anyway. So I've got four Class choices: Blast Master, Potion Doser, Conjure Mage, and Light Witch. These names tell me almost nothing. Let's have a look at the write-ups. Those don't help. Oh, wait, here we go:
OK, so I can take 3 levels ("LVL") in one or two in one and one in one more. I'm kinda feeling Potion Doser, I like the idea of being a stimpak mixologist. Let's take two LVL there and one in Conjure Mage.
So I'll take a point in Plasma Extremities and a point in Group Treatment in Potion Doser, and one in Powered Exoskeleton in Conjure Mage.
Moving on to Step Two. We mark starting Hits...um. Oh, I start with 4 because that's the rating for Potion Doser and that's my highest Class. I start with 1 Honor. I'm suppose to pick a name, here, too, but I'll do that last.
Step Three: I get Cloak Armor, which is never defined in the book. I get two pieces of starting gear; I'll take...oh, hey, I can roll for that. Neat. I get a tethered suction-cup launcher and an inflate-o-raft. What is this, Toon?
Yeah, it does seem to be. Lookit this.
Those are "LT" weapons. I get one of those. They all cost the same and do the same damage. They are never defined or described, so this table is just a list of funny words.
OK, I think I'm good. I literally have no idea how I'm meant to go about defining a character or making him different from any other Potion Doser. Gonna name my guy Scruuks. Just kind of wants to keep everyone health and all their goop contained. Nothing worse than uncontained goop. Just sticky.






No comments:
Post a Comment