Monday, October 30, 2023

Character Creation: Raccoon Sky Pirates

Beware the masked sky-bandits!

The Game: Raccoon Sky Pirates
The Publisher: Hectic Electron
Degree of Familiarity: None
Books Required: Just the one

Raccoon Sky Pirates is a little GM-less game in which you play the titular raccoons (though you can also play another trash-loving animal like a possum, pigeon, or cockroach) as they ride an airship from their junkyard home to a suburban house to rob it and then fly back. 

Now, that premise is amazing enough on its own, but I like the mechanics, too (or at least, in theory). You don't decide what you're doing and then roll to see if it works, you pick an approach, then roll to see what you do, and if the result you rolled matches the approach you used, what you did was helpful. If not, it's unhelpful, and it makes everything more chaotic. For example, one of the characters has Deft, Cunning, and Stylish as his approaches. If he rolls a 9, the result is "Invent a new machine out of Trash," and it's Cunning. But if the player chose Stylish when acting, then that new machine isn't going to be helpful.

I can already see that an experienced group would have trouble with the conceptual shifts necessary, but I think the game is well-designed enough that it wouldn't matter, and of course the premise is enticing on its own. 

Character creation is pretty minimalist - the characters already have names and approaches chosen, so it's mostly about making a few quick decisions and jumping into it. But I like the game too much not to include it in the project, so here we go.

So first we choose a character. I'll pick one of the raccoons, I think. Ooh, yeah, let's grab Rabies Eddie. 

Rabies Eddie's approaches are Strong, Aggressive, and YOLO. For his Look, I'll take Thousand (Junk)yard Stare. For Personal Goal, I gotta go with Find a reason to go berserk. 

Relationships would require more raccoons, and it's just me, so I'll skip that. The other thing is to say what I want to steal on this trip and how it would improve life at the junkyard. Hmm. 

I think Rabies Eddie wants to steal a bottle of glass cleaner and a sponge. There are lots of windshields and windows in the junkyard, and they're so dirty. If all those windows sparkled, think how much nicer it'd be! You could see right through them! 

I picture Eddie as very friendly and amiable, big puffy fur and a goofy grin much of the time. He drools a lot (hence the name; he's not really rabid...right?) and has a habit of saying "huh? huh? whadja say?" He never lets anything go, so if you say something and he doesn't hear it YOU BETTER NOT TELL HIM "NOTHING" BECAUSE IT WASN'T "NOTHING" WHEN YOU SAID IT A MINUTE AGO, PRISCILLA. Ahem. 

That's it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment