Monday, June 29, 2020

Character Creation: Pugmire

Arf, arf.

The Game: Pugmire
The Publisher: Onyx Path Publishing 
Degree of Familiarity: None, sadly
Books Required: Just the one

I backed the Kickstarter for Pugmire largely because of the people involved in its creation, but I didn't expect to like it as much as I do. The reason for that is that the system, I thought, was most reminiscent of the d20 system, which I don't much like. As it turns out, though, it's more like the True 20 system, which I dislike less, and I see DNA from a bunch of other games I really like (include Blue Rose and even Shadow of the Demon Lord).

But besides that, there's an obvious care and love that went into the game, and that shows through. It doesn't overcomplicate itself, it doesn't get up it's own butt, and although the author gives us various peeks behind the curtain, they're not there to tear down other games or say "look how Pugmire is better," but to simply say "here's why this is the way it is." Those are the kinds of peeks into the process I find useful.

Anyway, I have this sneaking suspicion I'm going to wind up running this game sooner rather than later. For now, however, let's make an uplifted doggo.

Characters in Pugmire are adventurers in the titular kingdom, thousands of years after Man has vacated the planet. Characters adhere to the Code of Man, to one degree or another, the central tenet of which is: Be a good dog. Kinda heartwarming, I think. The first thing I'm asked to do is choose a calling, which is analogous to a class in D&D. And I have to say, this game blows the Chupp Test out of the water, because ordinarily with fantasy games I either go "magic user" or I toss a die because nothing much interests me, but there are so many interesting directions to go in that I'm having trouble deciding.

Well, I think I would like to pay homage to my dearly departed mutant corgi, Si. Si was a very social, chatty dog, but he was also protective of me and liked to herd people, so I'm thinking I'd like to make a Shepherd.

Next up, I choose a breed. Um, herder, obviously.

Next we choose a background! Hmm...I'm gonna stick with my theme here and take Acolyte. My character traveled with his brother as a puppy, and the two of them came to a fork in the road. His brother wanted to take the left fork, into the forests where the Free Dogs lived, while my character wanted to take the right fork, up to the Abbey where they could learn to be acolytes. They stayed at the juncture for days, arguing back and forth, and finally my character woke up one morning to find his brother gone, and a note reading: "Follow, or don't." He didn't, but he's always kind of hoped to find his brother again.

OK, then, next step is Ability Scores. Unlike D&D and such games, this isn't random, we just have an array to assign: 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8. As a herder, I get a +2 to Wisdom, and as a Shepherd, Intelligence and Wisdom are the stats I should put high. OK, then.

I'll put my 13 into Wisdom, my 14 into Intelligence, my 15 into Constitution (this Shepherd is surprisingly stock), my 12 into Strength, my 8 into Dexterity, and the 10 into Charisma.

Next step, some derived traits. 10 Stamina Points, 1d8 Stamina dice, modifiers for all the traits (oof, I'll bet that -1 in Dexterity is gonna come back to bite me). I get my Proficiency Bonus (+2 'cause I'm first level) to Intelligence and Wisdom saves, among other things.

And now Skills. They're binary, thank goodness (I'm liking that more and more). I get Know Religion and Sense Motive from my background, which is perfect. I get to pick from a bunch of options for being a Shepherd. Hmm. I think I want Heal and Persuade.

Tricks, which are kinda like Feats. As a herder, I get Keen Observer, and as an Acolyte, I get Acolyte of Man (seems a little obvious). And then as a Shepherd, I get Simple Weapon Aptitude, Light Armor Aptitude, Medium Armor Aptitude, and Shield Aptitude. And then I can choose between Good Memory or Prayers to Man. Uh, the latter, please, I want my magic. I get Bless/Bane, Sacred Flame, and Spare the Dying, and then I get to pick two more first-level spells.

Well, I guess I should take Cure Wounds. And...hmm. A lot of these are pretty dope. I think I want a protective spell. Protection from Evil defends against things like possession, Sanctuary against things like arrows. Think I'll do the former.

Cool, now gear. I get the following in my rucksack: A simple melee weapon, a set of light armor, a shield, candles, vestments, rations, and a symbol of the Church of Man gained under unusual circumstances. What circumstances? Well, I'll say it was purchased in a pawn shop as a lucky charm, but I'll say my brother bought it for me, the same day we found the fork in the road. And then from my background, I get a prayer mat, some common clothes, and a pouch with a few plastic coins.

Better specify some of this stuff. I'll say he carries a club, wears leather armor (which gives me a Defense of 10 because my Dexterity sucks - oh, wait, no, got a shield, that bumps it to 12). My initiative is -1 (again, Dex), and Speed is 30 on two legs or 40 on four.

Three personality traits: Ideal, Bond, and Flaw, expressed through sentences.

Ideal: What's most important to me is keeping others safe. This doggo isn't one to go out and find monsters to hunt just for the sake of it, but if those monsters are threatening other dogs (or other people in general) then it's time to lace up the armor.

Bond: I am inspired by my bond to my long-lost brother. That one's easy.

Flaw: No matter what, I just can't keep quiet. If he's awake, he's talking.

Last thing is the name and the story, but the story is pretty much done. His name is Silas Corgi. He's mostly black, but with white ruff on his chest and paws. He's short and stocky, with bright brown eyes. His shield is half blank, and half adorned with his family's crest, symbolizing his love for his brother, Tobias.

That'll do it, I think.



No comments:

Post a Comment