I just picked up six bundles from DriveThruRPG; said bundles are still available for another week or so. Still gotta update my chargen project page, but I'm sorting through the PDFs for the ones that get added to the project - a lot do, but a lot are also just 5e settings, which aren't eligible.
This game, however, is one I've had for a while.
The Game: Kingdom
The Publisher: Lame Mage Productions
Degree of Familiarity: None, just read it
Books Required: Just the one
Kingdom is a game much like Perseverant or Becoming; players create the setting as well as the characters. Characters have one of three Roles within the Kingdom - you're either the Power, the Perspective, or the Touchstone. That is, you either have authority, you know where the Kingdom is going, or you represent the voice of the average person. It looks like a pretty cool little game, actually.
For character creation purposes, of course, I need a Kingdom. The book includes a bunch of interstitial examples, so I'm gonna use the first one, Cactus Flats, a little town in the Old West.
First step is Role, which are those three things I mentioned. I'm gonna go with Perspective, I think.
Next bit is Who Are You? I want to play someone kind of being the crazy ol' prospector and the town drunk. He's in his 40s, maybe older, and he lives by the kindness of others. He's been around since Cactus Flats was founded, and he's seem people, sheriffs, outlaws, and disasters come and go. He spends his days at the bottom of a bottle. He carries a gun, but it's so old and rusted it probably wouldn't fire even if it were loaded. The character's name is Whiskey Tom.
Next, Where Are you Found? I pick two locations in the Kingdom (if I were playing, there'd be a list that the other players came up with). Well, the saloon seems obvious, and then I'll also say that Tom sleeps in the livery stable sometimes. The owner lets him stay there as long as he doesn't scare customers or make a mess.
Step Four is Wish or Fear. This needs to be something that Tom hopes or fears for Cactus Flats. I'll say he fears the town will fall under the influence of a singular rich person or tycoon. Tom has seen that happen before, a little town becoming the playground of some charismatic wealthy sonofabitch.
Step Five: Issue. This is a personal problem that holds Tom back. Well, I think "crippling alcoholism" is the top contender, here.
Bond would be the next thing, but it's just me. I'll pretend that another player is taking on the role of Conrad, the owner of the livery stable. Normally another player would create a bond with me, too, but I'll skip that.
And that's it! Boy, that was pretty painless. May have to give this a spin sometime when the apocalypse ends.


No comments:
Post a Comment