Here we go, back to the 20s! BUT WE'RE IN THE 20s. WHAAAAT.
(Seriously, though, it's fucked up that a game set in the 20s is now set about a century ago.)
The Game: Capers
The Publisher: Nerdburger Games
Degree of Familiarity: None
Books Required: Just the one
Capers is a game about superpowered individuals in the Roaring 20s. It's not a superheroes game precisely, which is appropriate, because really what we think of as "superheroes" mostly come from the 40s and later. Not to say that there weren't costumed heroes pre-WWII; there were, of course. But Capers leans more towards characters without overt, flashy abilities, and that's kind of cool. It also pretty much lays out that you're either a gangster or a cop, and since I have no interest in making a cop in today's climate, I'm gonna make a gangster with cool powers.
There's a random element to chargen (optionally, but I like some random) so I'm gonna grab a deck of cards.
Starting off, I have to pick if I want to play an Exceptional (someone without power, but with some cool extras) or a Caper. I want to have kewl powerz, so I'm gonna make a Caper.
(Side note: Powered individuals in-setting are called "Capers," which initially had me rolling my eyes because a "caper" is either a synonym for "criminal activity" or "little flower buds that go in chicken piccata", but it's explained in the game's fiction and it actually makes sense.)
So! I'm meant to come up with Concept first, but the bits that are random are Anchors: Identity, Virtue, and Vice. If you're seeing shades of various White Wolf games' setup, well, so am I, but that's fine. I'll draw for these and see what I get.
Identity: Screw-up. I gain Moxie when I succeed even though I'm unfocused.
Virtue: Pacifist. Won't knowingly take a human life.
Vice: Temper: Angers easily.
Huh. Interesting combo, especially those last two. Does kind of lend itself to a Hulk-like character, someone with the capacity for violence but not the taste. I dunno. I kind of want to re-draw the Vice, that's the only thing I think doesn't work. A re-draw gets me "Paid Companions" (I enjoy the company of others, as it were), and I think that's fine.
My character's name is Skinny Mick. Mick is, as the name implies, hella skinny. He's not the most perceptive or focused cat on the best of days, but he's a hell of a getaway driver. He's terrified of guns (he worked in the motor pool in WWI because he was too scared of gunfire to actually enter combat, and his CO was an understanding kind of guy who recognized that Mick could still be useful, even if he was "gutless") and hates the sight of blood. He blows his money on ladies of the evening whenever he can; he's never been much good at talking to women, but he's very comfortable around "the gals" down at the local cathouse.
OK, that'll do for a start. Now, Traits. There are six of them (Charisma, Agility, Perception, Expertise, Resilience, Strength - hey, it's an acronym!), and I get scores of 1, 2, 2, 2, 2, 3 to throw around.
Well, Perception gets the 1, obvs. Agility gets the 3, since that's likely to be what I'd use to drive, and everything else gets a 2.
Trait Defense are set by my scores; 8 in Perception, 10 in Agility, 9 in everything else.
Skills are binary (either got 'em or you don't) and I get to pick 4 (2 + Expertise). I want Conveyances, Mechanicals, Humanities (I think Mick is an avid reader), and Insight.
Powers! I can either take a Minor Power at rank 2, two Minors at 1, or one Major at 1. I think I want the two Minors, but I'm not sure yet (note that "Minor" powers are still pretty dope). OK, I'm gonna take Force Field at rank 2, playing into the idea that Mick doesn't want to hurt anyone. I get three Boosts; I'll take Size Boost, Range Boost, and Mobile Boost.
That's powers, then. Derived Traits are based on Attributes; Body is 10, Mind is 8, Hits = 12, Speed is 30, and I start with 3 Moxie.
And that's pretty much it! I...actually like this game quite a bit. May have to put it into the one-shot hopper or something.


No comments:
Post a Comment