Yeah, it's two sci-fi games in a row, but I'm pressed for time today and this is quick.
The Game: Holdfast Station
The Publisher: Lampblack & Brimstone
Degree of Familiarity: None
Books Required: Just the one
Holdfast Station is kind of somewhere in the intersection of Blades in the Dark, Durance, and any of a number of games that focus on building and maintaining a community. It's not quite GM-less - there's a defined "Navigator" role - but it's less about the rules adjudication and narrative responsibility and more about just facilitating the game and asking questions to spur things along. I need to read it a bit more carefully to get a full feel for how it'd play, but I think it looks pretty cool.
Chargen is meant to be a during-play, full-group process, but I think I can bumblefuck my way through it. It would help if the damn PDF WAS BOOKMARKED THOUGH GRARAHRHGanyway.
OK, so our first step would be coming up with some details about the station itself, but I'm gonna skip that. And then we pick a Job. Unlike playbooks of PbtA games (usually), doubling up on these would be fine. Not that that matters for my purposes, but it affects how you look at the Job, I guess. I'm gonna pick...Bot Jock! Yes, I'm playing a drone rigger in Michelle's Shadowrun game, I don't care, I like my little robot friends. (Which is funny, as I'm getting less and less enamored of tech in the real world. Do you know how hard it is to find a rental car without a goddamn screen in it? I look at screens so much of the day already, and besides, how is that not dangerous?! FUCK YOU, CLOUD!)
Ahem. Moving on. Now we do traits, starting with Drive. There's a helpful list, and I could make one up, too. Huh, bunch of repetition on the list, very sloppy, guys. Well, I think I want to play against stereotype and make my Bot Jock a very sociable fellow who's comfortable with people (as opposed to being better with his gadgets). Let's say his Drive is to make everyone comfortable (including himself).
Next is Downfall, which is the dark and selfish stuff that could get me in trouble. Ooh, one of the choices is "Love me!" What if my guy is a real people-pleaser, the kind that says "yes" to everything regardless of whether he can actually deliver? I'll put "people-pleaser" as his Downfall.
Now I get two Traits...I thought these were all traits? Whatever, there's a list. My guy should definitely be Personable, and I guess he should have some skill in his field, so I'll take Drone Pilot.
I get one Quirk. Let's say he's a Musician. Not sure what instrument, though. It'd have to be something portable. Ooh, suppose he has like a collapsable bongo drum? I'm sure they have those in the future.
I get a piece of Gear (other than my bongo, I guess). I want a zero-g scout drone.
And otherwise, I just need a name and description. So let's say my Bot Jock's name is Razak Leo. He's half Malaysian, black hair, brown eyes, callused hands, not nearly as greasy as you'd expect a bot jock's to be. Razak tends to let his work slip because he agrees to too many things, which I'm sure is going to get somebody killed one of these days.
And that'll do it!


No comments:
Post a Comment