Wednesday, December 17, 2025

Character Creation: One HONK Two Furious

FOR THE SIXTH GAME OF XMAS, TWENTY-TWENTY-FIVE,
SIX GEESE A-HONKIN'
GIRL BY MOONLIGHT,
FOUR ELDER GODS,
THREE BIRBS WITH TITS,
TWO CORVID COURTS,
AND THE OSR GAME CALLED CAIRN!

Just launching straight into song like it's a musical. La, etc.

The Game: One HONK Two Furious
The Publisher: The Pocket Workshop
Degree of Familiarity: I've run the previous version of the game
Books Required: Just the one


I actually kind of debated excluding this game from my project. It's basically the same book as before, there's no blank character sheet (rather, there is, but it's a png file, wtf). But y'know, it's too perfect to include as the "six geese a-laying" bit of the song, and the book is different in places (all of the goose-perks and goose-powers have been redone). And besides, I really love the game. HONK.

Right, so. Chargen is pretty simple, actually.

So yeah, on we go! The breeds are the same as before. Rolling a d6 we get...4, Canada Goose! Sounds good to me. You got a problem with Canada gooses, you got a problem with me, and I suggest you let that one marinate. 

Ahem. My breed gives me Heroism 3, Observation 1, Nimbleness 0, Khaos 2. Sounds good. 

Next, a Perk! Rolling...another 4. Hmm. That gives me...Goosey See, Goosey Do. I get a bonus die to copy anything I've seen a Human do. That's pretty good. 

And finally, an Ability! Nat 20! That gives me...um. Honk Tuah. I start a surprisingly successful podcast.

OK, I have to say, the Abilities aren't nearly as good this time around. In the first game we got stuff like growing to immense size or causing rainstorms or whatever. Here...well, shit like that. Or On the Wings of Evil ("you turn evil. What that means is up to you"). Most of them aren't that dumb, but there are more joke ones this time around, and like, go ahead, be funny, but give me something that's going to be interesting and fun in play. How does starting a podcast fit into the game? I'm gonna reroll. 

All right, that's more fuckin' like it. Crescendo: Your moment is now. Add +10 dice to a roll. (That sounds impressive, but really what that does is all but guarantee that you'll get a crit success on the roll, or at least a full success. But any Shadowrun player can tell you it's possible to roll a buttload of dice and get no 6s.)

And that's all but a name. Let's name my Canada goose Honktreal. Honktreal, named for the city of his hatching (that's the name of the city, right?), has a great big honk inside him. It's so big and powerful, you just wait, eh? HONK. 

I think Honktreal is very full of himself, perhaps not quite as hostile as others of his breed, but he's not gonna move for nobody. Somewhere in his goosey soul, he knows the toughest guy in Letterkenny has his back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment