Tuesday, November 26, 2024

Character Creation: Terra Oblivion

Watch this space for daily characters! This week, anyway. Maybe.

The Game: Terra Oblivion
The Publisher: Khepera Publishing
Degree of Familiarity: None
Books Required: Terra Oblivion and the Mythic d6 core

I've made a couple of characters for Mythic d6, and while I don't remember much of the underlying system, I liked the core book well enough when I read it. Terra Oblivion is a sci-fi setting in which people came from Earth to another world in the Goldilocks zone, named it Terra because it's better than
"Bob", and then discovered that all of the native life is "flukes." Flukes are long, serpent or eel like creatures, but the weird(er) thing is that all creatures are flukes, and they're made up of flukes. I...don't really get what's going on here.

Characters in Terra Oblivion are built at level 2, which gives me 100 points. They're also built using one of five templates (Academic, Consul, Handler, Soldier, and Spy). I don't have much of a concept, so I think since I've already got my music program open I'll pick a random song as an inspiration. 

That's "Joe" by The Cranberries. As Cranberries songs go, it's pretty wholesome; it's apparently about Dolores O'Riordan's grandfather. So it's pretty simply a remembrance for a departed loved one (come to think of it, it's off their To The Faithful Departed album). So how do I spin that for this game? 

Well, I think the vibe I'm getting here is for the Kilmitok Republic (one of the nations in the game). They're hard and self-sufficient but also kind and generous when need be, and I think that my character saw that national attitude reflected in his grandfather. Military service is compulsory for citizens, so I think I'll say that my character found some kind of niche in the military and stayed on (as such, I shall take the Soldier template). 

Now, if I'm reading this right (and there's no example of chargen DAMMIT JERRY), these templates are also Occupations, but I also get an archetype. Let's say I'm a Protector. That means I have a bonus called "Aegis," which allows me to protect others (there's a big ol' system attached to it, but I'm not concerned about that except insofar as it keys off of REF, so I should raise that). 

Pick a culture/nation, that's easy, we're going with Kilmitok Republic. That means I'm Stoic; once per game I can change a Wild Die from 1 to 6. Nice! I mean, yes, very good, thoughtful nod

So evidently those numbers up there mean I've spent 48 on Attributes, 19 on Skills, and 5 on Advantages, for a total of 72. That leaves me 28 points to spend. 

Well, raising an Attribute costs 4, so I'll bump REF up to 3. I think I want Physique and Presence a little higher, too, so I'll spend 8 more and buy them both up to 3. That leaves me 16 points left. 

I feel like this guy might have some medical training, so I need some Scholar. I'll buy 1D in Scholar and then spend 4 to buy a Specialization in Medicine. That sets me back 5, so I've got 11 left. I'll spent a point to buy up Willpower to 2D. 

And then over on Advantages, I kinda want him to be a combat medic, so I'll buy Authority - he's got medic privileges (whatever those might be). I'll blow 8 points so that I can use it twice per session. That leaves me two dice left, so I will spent one to raise Scholar to 2D and one to split into pips, and I'll put one in Scholar, one in Athletics, and one in Piloting. 

Character creation in Terra Oblivion doesn't mention Disadvantages, but I know I need to take 5 dice worth across three categories (Personal/Relationship, Internal, External). Let's say there's a higher-up in the Kilmitok military that has it out for my character. Actually, hell, let's say he's the equivalent of a general, and he's pissed at my character because my grandfather made him look like a dick back in the day. His name is Limat Doll. I'll give that 3D because that motherfucker wants me dead and he's very much in a position to do it.

For Internal, I'll say my guy is Burned Out. He won't abandon his duty - he was raised better than that - but he really needs a vacation. And then for External, we'll say he's got a Trick Shoulder (flyer crash a year ago, never quite healed right). Both of those only get 1D, so they're minor. 

And that's actually about it. My guy's name is Burren Gbwan (no real naming conventions mentioned in the Terra Oblivion book). Burren is now in his late 20s, and has pretty much decided to stick with "combat medic" as a career, at least until he gets killed, or they find someone better (or General Doll sends him into a suicide mission). He's broad-shouldered and kind of...meaty, I guess, but he's got a million stories about his grandfather and his life back in Kilmitok. Burren isn't interested in killing people - he will, because that's war, but he's more interested in patching them up. 

That'll do it, I s'pose. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment