Friday, November 29, 2024

Character Creation: Relics

Not based on the movie with Tom Sizemore and Penelope Ann Miller, that's The Relic

The Game: Relics
The Publisher: Tin Star Games
Degree of Familiarity: None
Books Required: Just the Relics books, but optionally the official Tarot of the game, which I have

Interesting game, this. It's based on the "Fugue" system first used in Alas Vegas, which I own but isn't on my chargen list (because the game has characters discovering who they are during play, so there's not a "character creation" step in the normal sense - same reason A Penny for My Thoughts isn't on the list). In Relics, though, you're playing an angel who has fallen to Earth and is embroiled in a cold war with demons and so forth. It's got some common DNA with In Nomine, mythologically speaking, but the game it reminds me of most is Nephilim. Characters are immortal beings who have existed since time immemorial, and the game includes flashbacks that can wind up establishing skills for the character. Also it uses a Tarot deck as its resolution, which I always find fun. So let's make an angel!

A lot of chargen is (or can be) done randomly, so I'll more or less stick to that method. That requires me to separate out the Minor and Major Arcana, 'scuse me a moment.

My Signifier is a Major Arcana card that, when it comes up in a scene my character is in, grants me a new Miracle and just generally means I'm awesome. I draw a random card and get...The World. One of two that I can't actually use (the other is the Devil). OK, draw again. Judgement. That'll work.

Next is Aspect, which I could pick, but eh, let's see what I draw. Swords makes me Aryeh, and gives me Mastery of Striking. That goes with Judgement just fine.

My Herald is the angel I used to answer to (the hierarchy has kinda been thrown into chaos in-setting). No reason to get decisive now, we'll just draw a Major. The Lovers gives me Gabriel, which isn't quite the way I thought this was going, but I enjoy the wrinkle. Gabriel's Dominion is Communion. 

Next we determine the Descent, or why my angel fell. Note that "Falling" in the context of this game doesn't mean you become a demon or anything, it just means you give up your angelic form and gain a human life (there's a lot that goes into that, most of which we'll cover in subsequent steps). Anyway, I don't have a good idea and I can do random draws, so...the Magician gives me Passion. I fell for, if not love, then some other strong emotion. That's really interesting, not the way I'd immediately think to go, but I'm getting some ideas. 

Suppose my character was meant to be a righteous warrior, like most of the Aryeh, but fell in love with storytelling and song as a method of war? Not so much propaganda and the winner writing history (although maybe that too), but just the idea that music, a song, a battle cry can turn the tide of a fight by giving humans reserves of strength they didn't know they had. Maybe there was some snatch of music that got to him so much that he fell, falling victim to the same kind of passion that humans do. 

Well, next up would be Mission. Do I wish to choose one? I think I do, because I think the choice is between the Armor of Righteousness (stand beside the humans) or the Sword of Wrath (kill six billion demons). I think I'll go with the former.

Relic, Dominion, and First Miracle. Well, my Dominion is Communion, though I could pick a second one if I wanted. I think I'm good with the one, though. So let's determine what my Relic is. A draw gives me an item of clothing, an accessory, or part of one. I think I'll leave the particulars until I know when I Fell. 

Which leaves Miracle. Hmm. Miracles are meant to be bespoke; there's a list of examples that I could pick from, but I have an idea that I want to use. I want my guy to be able to whistle or sing a tune that gets people nodding or bopping along, a song that brings people into sync. Game effect wise, I'd like it to be able to calm people down and get them on side - it's not going to work if hostilities have already started, but maybe it can make the difference between two drunks throwing punches and starting to laugh. Let's call it "the Common Melody." The Trammel (limitation) is that it only can be used once per scene (I could make it more powerful with another Trammel, but eh, I think that's good). 

Step Seven is descriptive touches, so first we must see when I Fell. A Major Draw gives me...The Tower, so the Early Modern Age (roughly 1500-1700 CE). That includes the Renaissance, so let's assume that's when and where he Fell. I get to pick an Angelic Work (a thing I created) and a Historical Impact. There are broad categories, and I'm fine drawing for it.

Ooh, I like it. I created a fundamental principle of physics, logic, math, science, or an invention arising from it, and I either prevented or inflamed a famous act of exploration, discovery, art, etc. Let's say that my guy invented polyphony, and may have inspired ancient peoples to use it, but didn't Fall until the Renaissance when he saw Josquin des Prez singing in the choir of René of Anjou. Recognizing the ripples of history this guy was capable of creating, he Fell in order to teach Josquin some of the more esoteric musical principles. Watching Josquin's music and career being "revisited" in more recent years has really annoyed my character, and he suspects demonic influence.

(Were I to play this character, I would need to do a deep dive into des Prez' music, but for now: this.)

Appearance! I have a Vessel (an earthly form with wings and horns and shit) and a Semblance (a human disguise). The Semblance also works on a metaphorical level, providing the basics I need to fit into society (add Demon: The Descent to things this game reminds me of). I want my guy to be, well, male (more or less; he's an angel and they don't really have gender), but I'll draw for apparent age. Twenties! I'm younger than I was picturing. He's white, or rather Italian-looking - he fit in when he Fell. I'll draw for a Mark, and I get...my teeth are ornamental and I can't eat anything solid. That's fine, angels don't have to eat. My guy has always had perfect teeth, but they're perfect because they're non-functional (it's fine, food impedes singing anyway).

A Mortal Connection! A waiter, bartender, or other service person. Well, let's say there's a barista at the coffee shop my guy frequents (I can drink, after all, I just can't eat solid food) who's trying to be a choral composer. My angel thinks she's on the right track and wants to hear what she comes up with, but has studiously avoided letting her know who and what he is. Her name is Bernie (Bernadette, but please call her Bernie).

Memories! Normally I would get three of these, but two of them would involve other players, so I'm just gonna do one. Let's make it from before he Fell, back when people were very young, about 70,000 BCE. He taught humans about whistling to coordinate positions and check in with each other, and from that learned the skill of Coordination & Timing.

And that's basically it, though I do need a name. There's a whole list of them in the book, and I kind of like Imriel (Eloquence of God). I think in the modern day, Imriel hangs out at the coffee shop and reads, he goes to churches where people are singing, or he finds street musicians. He almost always has a coffee with him (keeps meaning to find the angel who first encouraged Kaldi to roast those beans and high-five that motherfucker). 

That'll do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment