Thursday, August 1, 2024

Character Creation: Bilge

To celebrate the release of the PDF of Realms of Pugmire to backers, I'll...make a character that has nothing to do with it. Um. But it's about meat, and dogs love meat, so.

The Game: Bilge
The Publisher: NeonRot
Degree of Familiarity: None
Books Required: Just the one

Bilge bears some resemblance to Belly of the Beast, in that you're harvesting bits of an immense creature by wriggling through it. Where Belly of the Beast is, in a lot of ways, a post-apocalyptic game, though (because you're living in the monster that ate the world), Bilge has you playing "volunteers" harvesting ambergris in a leviathan-esque creature on a water-covered heretofore unknown moon of Neptune. (Actually, it wouldn't be too be of a stretch to think we work for Alterra, the corporation from Subnautica, as I think about it.)

Bilge is GM-less, and has some board-gamey kind of vibes to it, since you're crawling from fleshy room to fleshy room and trying not to get et by things. You also can absorb parasites into you for power-ups (no ludography so I don't know if Returnal was an inspiration, but c'mon). Sounds good, let's make a volunteer! 

The first thing I'm asked to do is come up with a name and backstory. So let's say my guy's name is Siberale Groff. Sib was the mid-tier of a kind of futuristic pyramid scheme involving one of Neptune's other moons and trying to get people to outfit an expedition to harvest the similar-but-safer leviathans that were totally there, but the bottom fell out, the people at the top cut and run, the people at the bottom got mulched (this scam took some people who do not like being took), and Sib wound up not dead, but owing a lot of people money. Ambergris volunteers can do very well for themselves, it's kind of like crab fishing in that way, but it's similarly deadly. So here's Sib, hoping to get the slimy goods and get out before he winds up dead.

Now we roll 2d6 for Flesh, Spike, and Crunch. 7, 5, and 4, respectively. Oh, I'm a-gonna die.

So now we roll a number of dice equal to my Flesh (so 7), total them, multiply by 10, and split the result between Vigor and Fatigue. That result is...30, so 300. Is that right? Seems high. Well, that's the deal. I happen to know you lose Fatigue with every room you go to, but you die if your Vigor hits zero, so I'll say 200 Vigor, 100 Fatigue.

And that's it, kids. I don't start with any parasites in me, so no other blanks to fill. Into the squish!


No comments:

Post a Comment