I said I was gonna do a game with a setting next, and this one does indeed have a setting.
The Game: Ghost Club
The Publisher: Andrew Dowell (lot of games in the last couple of years that aren't published by companies per se, and also does no one have a web site anymore?)
Degree of Familiarity: None, but the game is only 40 pages
Books Required: Just the one
Kind of a mixture of spoopy (not spooky) horror, kids-on-bikes adventures, and Scooby-Doo-ish investigation. I'm always happy to play a supernatural investigation game, and I enjoy game that have kids as characters, so let's give this a whirl.
The game seems like it would play as much like a board game as anything - there's a ghost, the kids investigate the haunted house, but if I'm reading this right a lot of the ghost's actions are random. And I can see this being fun, mixing some board game elements with RPGs. Also chargen is mostly random, and I enjoy that.
So the first thing we do is choose a name. There's a handy table to roll on, so let's try that. "Terry Knight." I can dig it. Sounds very protagonisty.
Next is archetype. I can make my own, but I'll just roll a d5 since I don't have any concept going on yet. "The Scout." Sounds good.
Cool. What next? Age! Rolling for it, I get...14. I get a +1 to Knowledge, boosting it to 3.
Nickname! Kids here use nicknames while investigating, because it's safer than using one's real name. I can get behind that. Terry's nickname is (rolls)...Moon! I suspect here was an incident at scout camp involving a diving board and a loose swimsuit. Sometimes names just stick.
Favorite color! "Midnight purple." Just "purple" is probably fine, guys.
Mask! For reasons related to the whole "nickname" thing, we wear masks while trespassing investigating. What kind of mask? Wolf! That's pretty cool.
Bike! Roll...1. My bike is rusted out and Terry's repaired it a bunch of times. So why does Terry have such a shit bike? I think he had a nicer one, but it got stolen because Terry forgot to lock it up and his parents have this lame "learn a lesson" thing going on. He found this bike at a garage sale and paid $8 for it, and has been holding it together with chewing gum and love every since.
Favorite food...hamburgers. Man after my own heart.
Phobia...trypophobia! Sure, why not. Honeycombs and the like creep Terry right the hell out.
Home...oh, this might require I tweak my bike story a little.
Actually, no, that works perfectly.
Character misquote! This is a list of movie quotes that are almost accurate. What's my favorite? "It's definitely, possibly a trap, maybe!" I like that, sounds pretty Terry.
And that's it! I think Terry joined scouts because it gave him something to do. His parents aren't fans of video games and the like, and they want him to have friends, but his parents are weird. Not bad-weird, but like quasi-hippie weird, and Terry's just a little off-kilter. Scouts helped him relate to other kids a bit more, but now there's ghosts, and knowing how to tie a knot and so forth is really helpful.
I think Terry tries to pretend people call him "Moon" because he's into wolves and wears a wolf mask, but the other guys in the scout troop know the truth. He's never gonna live that down. Ah, well.
That'll do it!



No comments:
Post a Comment