DEATH SQUIDS.
The Game: Necronautilus
The Publisher: World Champ Game Co
Degree of Familiarity: None. I can spell
Books Required: Just the one
Necronautilus is another one of these games that I'm sure looked cool on Kickstarter, I backed it, it took a while to get here (but not an inordinate amount of time or anything) and by the time I got my copy I'd forgotten what the game was about. Sometimes it's easy to tell looking at the game, and then there's this one. Weird death metal font, colorful skull and...mushrooms? on the cover. WTF is this game, I thought, as I started to read?
It's weird, no doubt. You're playing people who have died and who are now sentient gas clouds that fly throughout the galaxy in which exists everything that has ever died or will die (so, um, everything), acting as Agents of Death. But in some game logic that I really like:
So the core of the game is exploration and delving into weirdness, but also, your main currency is Words. Your ship runs on Words, you magic runs on Words, and your Words can explode and reform into other Words. I'm actually excited to try this game out at some point.
For now, let's make an Agent. There's actually not all that much to chargen as far as concept because part of the game is rediscovering your Memories pre-death.
We start off with three Words of Power. These can be anything, as long as the Word is at least 4 letters long. Without agonizing too much, I'll choose "underwater," "nocturnal," and "atmosphere."
Now we pick three more Words in our Collection, which I can't use for magic the way I can the other ones, but can power our ship or be used in other ways. I'll pick "crepuscular", "right," and "wailing".
Luck and Life both start at 6, that's easy.
Items are just slots that I can use during missions to create items that I might need to use, so nothing needs to be done with them during chargen.
Reason is arguably the most important part of chargen - it's why I chose to be a Death Agent. There's a helpful bunch of examples, but I can probably come up with something. Let's say my Agent "wished to understand the nature of light."
Finally, I pick my Title; basically my name or call-sign among other Death Agents. We'll say my particular gas cloud is called "Moth." (Going back to that Don Marquis poem again, Matt? YES I AM.)
And that's it!



No comments:
Post a Comment