Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Character Creation: Bluebeard's Bride

Been a bit. I picked up the 3.5 version of Iron Kingdoms, read part of it, and then realized I don't actually have D&D 3.5, so I can't really make a character (which is fine, because the book was boring me, which is why it was taking so long to get through). Consequentially, however, I needed something quicker and more familiar, so here we are.

The Game: Bluebeard's Bride
The Publisher: Magpie Games
Degree of Familiarity: Some. I played it a couple of times at GenCon some years back
Books Required: Just the one.

I've been played RPGs since I was 11, and I've been played horror RPGs since I was about...18, I guess. In that time, I have occasionally experienced a game that shifts the foundations of my understanding of "horror RPG." Chill 2nd Ed did it because it was my first horror game (so less "shifting" the foundations than "laying" them, I guess). Wraith: The Oblivion, Dread, and Slasher Flick all changed my perception of the genre a bit, too. Bluebeard's Bride is definitely another such game, because holy shit, it captures "horror" in a way that very few other games can. 

In the game, you're playing various facets of the personality of the titular Bride, and experiencing wandering through your new husband's house. Sooner or later you're going to open the final door and learn what's become of your predecessors, and then you might be able to get away with your life. The game is tragic, brutal, and provocative, and I both love it and am terrified to run it. (I would need players that I trusted implicitly, and vice versa.)

Anyway! Let's make a character. First step is to choose a Sister (that is, a facet of the Bride's psyche). Hmm. I know I played the Fatale the first time I played this, but I don't remember which one I played the second time. Animus, maybe? I think this time I shall choose the Virgin. 

First, Wedding Prep, which consists of several questions. 

What do the Bride's eyes look like? They are brown and soulful, but often downcast, and have bags under them as though she hasn't slept. 

How do others know you want them when they gaze into your eyes? A slight widening of the iris, subtle but unmistakable, before my eyes dart away.

What are you leaving behind from your provincial life to become Bluebeard's Bride? My best friend and lover. She and I promised we would write each other.

When you first met, what loving gesture did Bluebeard make that won you over? He was kind to my dogs. He patted their heads and learned their names.

What gift did you present to Bluebeard before the wedding? Why did you choose this? A sachet of herbs taken from my garden and around my home. I did it because his odor is very strong.

Do you trust your generous husband, Bluebeard, or do you hold unkind suspicions? Why is that? I trust him. He is strong and gruff, but I saw his true nature when he played with the dogs.

The next bit is Sensory Bonds, but I'm skipping that because I'd need other Sisters for it. 

Stats! My Resilience is +1, and then I have 0 and -1 to put into Blood or Carnality. Hmm. I guess 0 in Carnality and -1 in Blood, though honestly I could kinda go either way.

Finally, Choose a Face. This is basically a playbook move, but also a way to pick an expression of the (in this case) Virgin. My options are the Lily, the Moth, or the Victim. They're all interesting, but I think I gotta go with the Moth, based on the decisions I've made so far (I suppose Victim would also work, but I like moths anyway). 

And that's it, actually. I don't even have to come up with a name, since I'm just one part of the Bride. 

No comments:

Post a Comment