Today I finished my final draft for A Little Meatier, and tomorrow I get to start working on my first draft for Next Phase. Yee-ha! Werewolfy goodness all around!
Tonight,
though, I want to make a character, because I can stay up and do it and
I don't have to get up early. I'm gonna go get a drink first, though.
OK, I'm back.
The Game: Wraith: The Oblivion 1st edition
The publisher: White Wolf
Degree of familiarity: Lots. Wraith
was the first WoD game I ran, and that chronicle was the first one in
which I gave serious though to theme, mood and other high-falutin'
concepts. My second Wraith game died out before its time, but it had some interesting moments. Wraith remains one of my favorite games of all time.
Books Required: Just the Wraith core, which is good, 'cause it's all I have.
If you died today, what would go on your character sheet? I wrote an essay on running this game some time back, y'know.
Anyway, I'm doing Wraith today because I have a concept. I was watching Dead Like Me
last night, and thinking about the business of "reaping" the newly
deceased. And then I thought about my school and how I have to help out
the kids who are trapped behind their own voices sometimes (that's OWoD
poetic, ain't it?).
So the concept I had was of a man who worked
as a custodian at an elementary school. He loved the kids, but had a
special place in his heart for the lonely, the sad, the misfits, the
freaks, the ones that just never quite got it. He'd been like
that, once, and through a series of twists and turns, this is where he
ended up. He liked the work, but he always regretted not having a family
of his own. And then he died one morning, driving to school. The train
track's crossing guards malfunctioned and didn't fall, and he zoned out
and didn't see the train...
He was Reaped by a ghost who haunted
those train tracks, a ghost who, fortunately, was kind and
understanding. The custodian (his name is Sylvester Cotto - the kids
called him "Mr. Sly") realized as he learned about the Hierarchy that a
lot of ghosts don't get treated so well. In fact, they get put straight
into slavery. To Sly, that just wasn't acceptable.
That takes
care of Life, Death and Regret. I think that for Nature, this guy is a
Caregiver. He Reaps newly dead people and helps them steer clear of the
slavers for the Hierarchy, even at risk to himself. For Demeanor,
though, he's a Critic. He always had a cynical side; it was tempered
before, but death put an edge on it.
On to Attributes! Sly is a
Social animal, probably Physical secondary, leaving Mental tertiary. I
put Charisma up to 5, Manipulation to three and Appearance to two. Sly
is damned likeable. Everyone always say.
For Physical, I throw one into Strength and Dexterity and the rest into Stamina. Sly is tough. Always has been.
Mental, I make it even. I may raise Intelligence later, or I may let Abilities do the talking.
Speaking
of which: Sly has been a custodian and handyman for a long time, so I
think that puts Skills first (he also served in the Army, I think).
Knowledge is secondary; Sly likes to read on his off time, and he does
work at a school. That leaves Talents last.
Skills: I put one
into Firearms (old military training), and one each into Melee and
Leadership for the same reason. Three into Crafts, three into Repair
(his job), one into Stealth, one into Etiquette (for dealing the
parents) and two into Drive.
Knowledges: Three into Bureaucracy
(military and then school? C'mon), and then one each into Computer,
Enigmas, Investigation (lookin' through lockers!), Linguistics
(Spanish), Politics and Science.
Talents: One each in Athletics, Awareness and Brawl, and two in Empathy. I think my freebies might go here.
Advantages:
I get five dots in Arcanoi. Ooh! Spectral power! Well, let's think. I'm
going to spread out my points, here. I take the first dot in Argos,
Lifeweb, Fatalism, Outrage and Castigate. All useful abilities for his
existence as a Reaper.
Backgrounds: Seven dots. Woo! I'll take
Memoriam, first off. The kids remember Mr. Sly, and sure enough, the
place just doesn't run as well without him. Three dots there. I'll put
two into Status (Renegades). What he's doing is technically against
Hierarchy policy, and so he's kind of a Renegade, though he wouldn't see
it that way. I'll put one dot into Haunt (his janitor's office at
school) and the remaining dot into Artifact. Sly's ring of keys followed
him into the Shadowlands, and he can use it to unlock any door,
provided it isn't magically sealed.
Passions: OK, here's where
we're off the lists and high on life! Death, rather! First passion:
"Ease the transition into death." The emotion there is "Compassion," and
I'll give that 4 dots. Since I want a school-related Passion, I give
Sly "Keep the school running smoothly" focused on Pride (2 dots).
Finally, I take "Protect the misfits", focused on Pity, at 4 dots. Pity
doesn't really seem right for that, though. Sly was a misfit when
he was a kid. How about we focus that on Envy, instead? He always
wanted to be one of the cool people, but he wasn't and never will be. So
he helps the underdogs to find their own way, not wanting the
"beautiful people" to always get their way.
Fetters: 10 dots
here, too. Well, definitely the school. Three dots; that's an important
one. His Purple Heart from when he was in the Army gets 1 dot. The
letter than his fiancee, Marla, wrote him when she dumped him to move
back to Jersey with her old boyfriend gets three (remember, he always
wanted a family). The train crossing where he died gets one - why did
he zone out that morning? He was always a careful driver... And,
finally, the book he was reading when he died, currently behind the desk
at the school library, Slaughterhouse Five.
OK, now I
get 15 freebies. Let's look at Talents. I spend 12 right away, buying
Alertness, Awareness, a third dot of Empathy, a dot of Expression and
two Streetwise. That leaves three. Normally I'd take extra freebies by
giving them to my Shadow, but I don't think it's appropriate for Sly. In
fact, I think I'll use those extra three points to buy Eidolon 2, and
up the Artifact to 2 (because for what it does, I think it should
probably be 2, since I can affect the Skinlands with it).
Speaking of the Shadow...
Sly's Shadow, I think, is just bitter.
It hates children for their youth and how they squander it. It hates
mopping up their vomit and listening to their stupid fights, catching
them making out in the halls and dealing with the disrespectful tones.
And it really hates ripping the cauls off newly dead idiots when
it could be selling the little shits. This Shadow is a Director. It
knows it doesn't have much time in power, and so when it does manage to
snatch control away, it sets things up as best it can. It's already used
Sly to sell a newly dead person into slavery, and it reminds Sly of
that whenever it's feeling vicious.
Angst: I roll 5 dice at difficulty 6, and get three successes. My permanent Angst rating is 3.
Dark Passions: I get seven points to assign here. Well, first, Sly's Shadow hates
kids, and wants to see them humiliated and broken. So that's "Break
children's spirits" (Hate) at 4. The Shadow also wants to see Sly go get
a job Reaping for the Hierarchy, which would be custodial, but also be
party to slavery. "Join Hierarchy" (Greed) at 2. Finally, the Shadow
blames Sly's own Reaper, Lois, for his death. "Harm Lois" (Bitterness)
at 1 dot.
Freebies: I get 10 to spend on the Shadow. Definitely
want Dark Allies, because I can see Spectres wanting a piece of Sly. 3
points. I'll also spend 3 points on Bad Luck - very nasty for my
character's clever Shadow. Finally, I'll put the other four into
temporary Angst, giving the Shadow 2 points.
And that's
everything. This being a 1st ed game, I take a Charisma Specialty
(Approachable) and a Stamina Specialty (Workhorse). But beyond that, I'm
good to go and ready to jump into death!


No comments:
Post a Comment