Don't think I'm gonna hit my secondary goal of 100 characters this year, but I'm still something like seven weeks ahead of my primary goal of one a week, so y'know, take the wins where you can.
The Game: Evernight
The Publisher: Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Degree of Familiarity: None with this particular game, but it's 1st Ed Savage Worlds and I'm pretty comfy with that
Books Required: Evernight and some version of Savage Worlds
Evernight presents a very readable, brain-friendly history, and you might know that I'm not usually one to read and enjoy fantasy-RPG history. The basics are that nowadays, things are pretty boilerplate fantasy, except that the over-reliance on "heroes" to solve problems is called out, which I like. The idea is that you'd play novice heroes and then the "night" part of "Evernight" kicks in, the spider-people come back, everything goes back, and basically it's all Mordor up in here. I can dig it.
Assuming that I'd be making a character for the beginning of the game (pre-Invasion), my first step is to pick a race. I have the standard fantasy array - elf, dwarf, human, half-elf, half-orc, hobbit half-folk. I don't really fancy any of them, but I do like the depiction of the Dragon Isles. It's a chain of volcanic islands, except that there are dragons in the damn mountains. They're voyagers and raiders, with dark brown skin and black hair, and they're also described as "tattooed," so that's cool. I'll be a human from the Dragon Isles.
My character is the younger brother of a well-known raider. His brother, Draich, came back from a voyage with an infection in his leg. He recovered, but he took ill with fever and missed his ship going out again. His younger brother, though (my character), Tlasi, who looks a lot like him, grabbed his cloak and stowed away on the boat. Through circumstance, he ended up in King's Port. He's thought about trying to get home, but he's heard so many tales of the Seven and other heroes that he figures maybe he'd like to try that.
Sounds good! I get the usual 5 points to buy dice in Attributes. I don't normally do this, but I'm just gonna spread them out evenly - d6 across the board.
For Skills, I get 15 points and going over a d6 in anything will cost double. I want:
Boating d6
Climbing d6
Fighting d6
Notice d6
Repair d4
Shooting d4
Streetwise d6
Swimming d4
Throwing d6
Pretty good spread for an ex-pirate. Next up are secondary stats, except not really. Ahem. Special Abilities are actually next, which means I get a free Edge and I can (and will) take Hindrances. Well, I'll take a Minor Wanted (ex-pirate) and I'll take Clueless (my character has been on a boat and the Isles, but isn't really savvy about city life). One more Minor; I'll take Big Mouth. I feel like I've taken that before, but it's in-concept.
Oh, wait, I can't take Wanted in this game. OK, how about Illiterate?
Right, Edges! I get one for free, and none of the ones in Evernight work, so let's look at the core. I'll take Fleet-Footed, it's pretty cool. And then I get 4 points, so I could buy another Edge. Let's see if anything jumps out. Oh, I think Steady Hands makes sense for him, since he's used to being on a boat. I need a d8 in Agility, though, so I'll use my other two points to get that.
Now we do derived traits. Pace is 8 because of my Edge, Parry is 6, Toughness is 6, Charisma is 0. I could spend money on gear, but eh. We'd assume Tlasi would have some light armor, a couple of throwing daggers, maybe a set of thieves' claws, since you figure they'd be useful for pirates.
Tlasi has grown a bit since setting sail from the Isles. He's filled out and is lean, but not breathtakingly muscular. He did well on a ship, but his crew turned him out when they found out he wasn't Draich (but didn't throw him overboard, out of respect to his brother). He figures he'll go home someday and see his family, but for now he's doing minor errands and heroics in King's Port. It's not like the world's gonna end before he can get home, right?


No comments:
Post a Comment