Saturday, December 8, 2018

Character Creation: Velvet Glove (ashcan)

Missed last week, but that just means I'm a week behind schedule. I can make that up no problem over Xmas break. Today's our holiday party, so I've got shit to do, but PbtA games are hella quick so HERE WE GO! Don't forget to like and subscribe!

(I feel kinda dirty saying that. And it's pretty meaningless here anyway. Moving on.)

The Game: Velvet Glove (Notebook Edition)
The Publisher: Magpie Games
Degree of Familiarity: None with this game, quite a bit with the underling system
Books Required: Just the one.

 
Velvet Glove asks you to play teenage girls in a gang in the 1970s. Like a lot of PbtA games, it's hella niche. This is a subgenre I'm not terribly familiar with (I've seen a couple of the movies on the recommended viewing list at the end, but they're the more recent ones).

Anyway, like most PbtA games, we start with a playbook. Options are the Gearhead, the Maniac, the Newbie, the Radical, the Stoner, and the Valkyrie. Hmm. I think I'll take the Stoner. Go ask Alice, baby. ("White Rabbit" seems a little cliche here, but I'll run with it.)

The book wants me to pick a name off the list; sure. I'll take Santana. She's 18 (at the high end of the age spectrum). Picking the Look, I'll pick Woman (as opposed to Girl or Ambiguous); tomboy clothes, no makeup (she's allergic to a lot of it), natural hair, and Latinx.

For my gear, I'll take a switchblade and 2 doses of a drug (LSD, I think).

And then for Stats, I get to add one to my array. Hmm. I already know what moves I want, so I think I'll lean in and add one to heart. That gives me -1 Brains, +2 Heart, +0 Muscles, and +1 Pussy (yep).

Speaking of Moves, I want head change (I can get high and know things) and that's the joint (when I set up a party, I can call someone who'll bring good shit).

And then normally I'd do Ties, but y'know, it's just me, so I generally skip this step.

I'll say that the Stoner playbook seems geared mostly to weed, but I see Santana as a fan of hallucinogens, too. Like, I think she's happy to smoke up with her friends and use weed as the party drug, but the other stuff is for doing with people she trusts (or thinks she can trust). I think it'd be fun to get in trouble with that, and if I were playing her, I'd definitely push for our gang to be selling drugs.

And that's it!

No comments:

Post a Comment