Man, I have not had this much trouble with a piece of fiction for WW in a
long time. I just can't seem to get my brain to do what I want it to.
So, I shall make a Prawn character in order to cleanse my mental palate.
The Game: Prawn
The publisher: Interactivities Ink, Ltd
Degree of familiarity:
None. A friend bought me a copy of the rules at Origins some years
back, and I put it my shelf, planning to run it in my own pool. But then
we got rid of the pool. Can't imagine when I'll get a chance to play
it, but if I ever do...
Books required: Just the Prawn book.
OK,
first up: Prawn is a LARP, but unlike most LARPs where you walk around
with your arms crossed, speak in clipped, measured, faux-English, put
unnecyssary y's yn wyrds, and basically try to get laid, this one's
played in a pool. And you're a fish. Or some other kind of seafood.
They
give you a bunch of characters for the game, but that's no fun.
Character creation is a really brief affair (presumably to keep you from
getting cold).
First, I choose my type of fish. The only rule is that I have to be seafood. Since I like sushi so much, I shall be a Japanese eel (Anguilla japonica).
That'll allow me to speak in a faux-Japanese accent in the pool, which
would be amusing. (ETA: Please note that I made this character in 2008. I wouldn't do that shit now.) It would also allow me to end the game chopped up,
barbecued and served with rice and soy sauce, which would be a first.
Next, I write up my history and background.
Um, OK. My character was caught as a young eel (eel-ling?) and given to
a small American boy as a pet. That boy named him "Karate", because
little kids give their pets random names like that. So, Karate the Eel
lived happily until he outgrew the tank the little boy kept him in, and
was given away to the Tank. And here we are!
Next, hit points. I have seven hit points, unless I wish to buy more with a Fish Schtick.
No, really. That's the next step. Fish Schticks. I get either three from column A, one from B and one from A, two from B, or one from C and one from A. Hang on a sec.
OK, since I am mysterious and Asian and everything (look, all
stereotypes are offensive, and I happen to find the "magical
Asian/black/non-white dude" one particularly annoying, so I'd like to
lampoon it a little), I'll take Clever Fish from Column A. That lets me
ask another fish a yes/no question that he must answer truthfully, such
as "Did you kill Da Squid?" I can only do that once.
I'll also take Slippery from Column C, since I'm a goddamned eel. I can escape the Hands once, allowing me to avoid being sushi for a little while longer.
And that's it! I'm not making a character sheet up, and one doesn't exist, so I'm off the hook there.
Ha-ha. See what I did there?
I will, though, give you a character picture. Here.

No comments:
Post a Comment