You know, part of the problem with my self-imposed "10 characters a month" goal is that when we get down to the last couple of days of the month and the goal is still within sight, but real life intrudes and cuts into my book-readin' time, I've pretty much done all of the quick games. A "quick" game, here, meaning a game I either know the system and setting well (and that's pretty much just WoD 10 years ago), or a game that's very short and that I know the system.
But fortunately, I still have a couple more Era games.
The Game: Era: Hitman
The Publisher: Shades of Vengeance
Degree of Familiarity: None with this game, I ran Era: Kaiju once
Books Required: Just the one
The other thing is that I've been watching a Youtuber named Bo Duke who does videos playing Hitman in freelancer mode with different restrictions, and I think I'm gonna replay Hitman once I'm done with the game I'm currently playing. That is, of course, irrelevant.
OK, so, anyway, in this game you're playing assassins working for the Assassins Guild. If you can complete a job and escape, the Guild cleans up after you, but if you fail, they hunt your ass down. Also Assassins are people who have a genetic mutations that gives them superpowers? I guess we're drawing on Wanted (the movie, at least, I've never read the comic) as well as Hitman.
Well, let's do this! Step One is Background, starting with Experience Level. Let's go Newbie. I've just been recruited, I'm fresh-faced and bright-eyed and bushy-tailed and so on. This gives me a point of Stamina. I also need a backstory, something I can sum up in a single sentence. Let's take a little inspiration from Amanda Peet's character in The Whole Nine Yards and say that my guy has never wanted to be anything other than an assassin, ever since an Assassin took out his middle school science teacher (he's still not sure exactly why, he just knows the dude was an abusive dickhole and he deserved to get domed).
I'm also meant to consider History, but like...didn't I do that with Experience Level? This all feels about right for an Era game. Moving on! Oh, hang on, I want a name. Enoch Larsen, that sounds pretty badass.
Step Two is Assassination Style. Let's see, I've made a few assassin characters for the project - hollowpoint, Killshot, Black Seven - but I've never made a sniper (though my ACE Agents character kinda was), so let's do that.
Step Three is my Quirk, my flaw that gets in the way. I'll say Enoch's is that he Gets Too Close - that is, he's tried setting up targets by getting into their lives and learning their routines, but darn it, that just makes them too hard to kill! Better to drill 'em from the next zip code.
Step Four is Attributes. They're split up into three groups, and then I get 6/5/4 points to prioritize. Well, for Enoch, I think we'd better prioritize Dexterity, Wits, and Willpower, so let's put my 6 into Reaction, my 4 into Defense, and the 5 into Potence. I shall then put two points into Intelligence and Charisma, 1 into Strength, three into Willpower, one into Stamina, and two each into Dexterity, Wits, and Luck.
Step Five: Skills. Same basic idea, they're broken into Personal, Technical, and Interaction, and I get to put 11/7/4 into them. Well, normally I'd just Interaction as my dumping ground, but I actually want Enoch to be pretty personable, so I'll put my 7 there. I'll put my 11 into Technical, and that leaves 4 in Personal.
Oh, this is funny. The Personal Skills are reprinted under Interaction. Nice going, guys. Well, anyway, for Interaction I'll put three in Persuasion, two in Seduction, one in Esteem, and one in Intimidation.
Under Technical, I'll put 5 into Gunnery, two into Computer, and one each into Drive, Engineering, Explosives, and Medicine.
And then in Personal, I'll put two into Stealth and two into Investigation.
Step Six: Derived Traits. Size is 5, Encumbrance is 5, Notoriety is decided by the GM so I'll skip it, Health and Pain are both Stamina + Size (8 in my case), Initiative is Wits + Willpower (7), Speed is Strength + Dexterity + Size (10), Defense is the lower of Wits or Dexterity (they're both 3 in my case).
Step Seven: Kinetic Powers. These are the superpowers I mentioned. It's not well explained; I get 8 points and it looks like I spend them during the session? Or maybe I buy them now but pay to use them in-game (you have to do both from the same pool of points)? That makes more sense, so I'll do that.
I think I'll actually just buy the first level of Temporal Manipulation, letting my speed myself up briefly. Useful for getting past guards and into sniper nests, or nicking the last donut before someone notices.
Last thing would be Gear. I have 500 monies, and if I want a sniper rifle that's all 500. Dude.
And that's it! Enoch is early 20s, military haircut (he's not military, it's just easier to put on a wig over), dope black suit because that's what the guy who killed his teacher wore. I think it'd be cool if his teacher was an Assassin who flubbed a job and that's why he got shot, and maybe Enoch gets to complete the job he flubbed or something.


No comments:
Post a Comment