Fun on a bun...in space!
The Game: Galaxy Prime
The Publisher: Epic Age Media
Degree of Familiarity: None
Books Required: Just the one
Seems like this is your basic "lots of alien races, go adventuring" sort of sci-fi setting. There's history and setting, and sorry to say a lot of it slid off my brain. There's also an example of play, which I appreciate, though I note with some amusement that:
The example of play has players talking in their funny character voices while out of character, which is something I personally discourage because I think it's good to draw a bright line between things said in and out of character (and because if your character talks like Captain Caveman it might not always be clear what you're trying to do).
Also, as long as I'm griping about things:
There's a couple of things wrong with this paragraph. First of all, this game came out in 2011, and GMless games have been a thing much longer than that. But more important, there's this nonsensical gatekeeping bullshit notion that only people who have run games before can run games. How, then, do new GMs happen? ANSWER THAT WITH YOUR PRECIOUS SCI anyway.
Well, strictly speaking the first step is concept, but I do not have one and I can roll to choose Race and Occupation, so I think I'll let the dice do the thinkin', at least initially. Picking a race involves a d% roll, so just a moment...a roll of 02 gives me Arn. They're big turtle people. Neat! They're about wisdom and honor and spreading enlightenment. I would say I'm a monk-turtle, but that probably kinda depends on Occupation.
Next up we roll Racial adjustments. This took me a while to figure out because there's no example of chargen and no place that the process is all clearly laid out, but I have 50 points to split between Strength, Intelligence, and Dexterity, and then I add a 1d0 to HtH and Willforce (which I guess must be secondary traits), and subtract 1d10 from Defense. Likewise, Dexterity can't be higher than 28.
OK, well, I still don't have much in the way of concept here, so I guess maybe I'll roll for Occupation and then come back to this? Sure thing! Another percentile roll gives me...Medic! That's cool, that seems to fit with how the Arn are portrayed.
OK, so that gives me a little more to work with, so I'll go ahead and split up my Attributes. I'll put my Intelligence at 30 (the max), and I'll split my Strength and Dexterity evenly (making them both 10).
Secondary traits: Speed is triple Dexterity, or 30. Projectile weapons is INT + DEX + 30 (so 70, pretty good). Hand to hand is STR + DEX + 30 +1d10, which adds up to (roll) 56. Defense is (DEX x 2) + INT -1d10, so (roll) 45. Observation is triple INT, so 90(!). I am one observant turtle-thing. Willforce is STR + INT + 30 + 1d10, so (roll) 88. And luck is the total of the three stats...so isn't that always going to be 50 for a starting character?
Hits is STRx2, so 20. Carrying capacity is five times STR, so 50.
OK, so now we get into Skills and Occupation-related stuff. I get 50 points to buy Skills, Mutations, and Languages. Mutations are 30 points each, so that'll eat most of my points if I do that. Languages are 5 points each, and Skills...are weird, hang on.
So, Skills are apparently binary. I seem to get Medical and Xenoscience for free to start, and...oh, I get another +1d10 to Observation, missed that. Anyway, Skills cost either 10 or 20, so let's see what else my medic should have?
Well, feels like Awareness is playing to my strengths, so I'll take that. Likewise, figure a medic would need Social. And then I think my character is quiet and easy to mistake for a big rock or box or something, so I'll take Stealth. Awareness and Stealth are 20-point Skills, Social is 10, so that's that.
And then everything else is gear and details, so. Let's consider that.
My character's name is S'chellam. While a lot of his fellow Arn are skilled hand-to-hand combatants, ready to duel over matters of honor, S'chellam feels that the greatest act of oneupmanship, and also the greatest act of mercy, is to heal someone. If you heal someone, you're taking their life in your hands as much as if you stab them, but you're saying in very specific terms "you are no threat to me." (Also S'chellam is slower and weaker than a lot of his fellow Arn, and while he's a good shot, that doesn't carry the same ritualistic weight with his people.)
S'chellam tries to sell people on his "healing as counting coup" kind of attitude, but mostly they just say "yeah, that's great, can you stitch me up now please?" It's fine, S'chellam is patient.







No comments:
Post a Comment