Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Character Creation: Metagene

ONE YEAR LATER...

The Game: Metagene
The Publisher: Imperfkt Gammes
Degree of Familiarity: None
Books Required: Just the one

Last year on this date, I made a character for a supers game called Invulnerable, noting that there was a slimmed-down version of the game called Metagene that maybe I'd do a game for in a month or two. Or twelve, as it happens. But what the heck! This makes 10 characters for April, and there's some nice synergy, so that's fun!

Metagene is set on Earth-Omega, and it's pretty much a four-color supers setting. Just at a skim it's an easier read than Invulnerable, and also character creation can be done randomly, which I always find a fun challenge. So let's get into it!

OK, so we start with a d20 roll to determine Hero Type. A roll of 7 gives me an "Energetic Hero."

Cool, sounds good. Next we roll a d12 for Origin. Huh, another 7, which gives me Gadget-Monger. Most of my powers are going to be from gear, and I get 10 Power Points but no free Powers. Sounds good. I don't have a strong Pitch idea yet, so what's my next step?

Powers! I roll percentile on the Random Power Table and then 1d6 for Power Class, subtract the cost from 10, lather, rinse, repeat until out of points. Groovy. First roll...Super Speed! Well, OK then. Power class? Ah, they actually allow for how many points you have remaining. In any case, my Super Speed is Class 4. What exactly does that mean? It means I can run at MACH speeds (doesn't say Mach what, however. I mean, Mach 1 is 770 mph, so that's still pretty impressive), and I get 3 Maneuver points, whatever that means.

Another power! Another, I say! Intense Training. I've trained, er, intensely. Roll for Power Class...1. Not that intensely, I guess. I get +2 in an Attribute, or +1 in two Attributes. I think I'll put 1 in Brains and 1 in Dodge. Cool. That only costs me 1 point, though, so I still have 5 left!

Another random power roll gives me...Healing. Oh, that's interesting. Power class? Roll...3, so let's say it's level 3. I can spend 1 Vigor to restore 1d6 vigor and cure any poisons or diseases a target has. Nifty. 

Two points left, so another power! Armor. Nice and simple. Roll for class (it's either gonna be 1 or 2)...2. My Armor grants 4 points of Protection. 

Nifty. And now, Knowledges. I get 10 Knowledge points, and choosing randomly works pretty much the same way. Start with...Rock Star! Holy shit, I'm Buckaroo Bonzai. Maybe. Level 2. More Knowledges! Biology, at level 2. Martial Artist at level 1 (yawn). Soldier at level 5...shit, that's all of 'em.

I could roll for a Weakness, but I dunno. I don't really need the points. I think I'll skip it. Oh, no, wait, I have an idea - I'm gonna take Obligation and use it to put a point into Aura.

Nathaniel "Nat" Knell was an Army Medic who excelled in combat awareness, logistics, and leadership. He was recommended for a special program involving enhancement tech - lightweight bands that go around his wrists, arms, thighs, chest, and head and amplify his reflexes and speed. In addition, wrist-mounted cartridges allow for rapid deployment of antivirals and antitoxins, and the speed boosts let Nat do surgery at high speed. The program was called Rapid Emergency Support and Crisis Unit (RESCU)...but the military discovered two flaws. First, it's prohibitively expensive to manufacture the gear, and second, only people of a very particular genetic disposition can use the mods to best effect. The Army is still tinkering with the tech, but for the moment they've let Nat keep a set to use when not deployed. 

That might seem out of character for the military, but the brass thinks of it as a fantastic recruitment tool. Most superhumans that work with the military are extremely destructive, but Nat is jovial, quick, and focuses on protection and healing rather explosives and combat. Having a "face" like RESCU* is good for PR, and besides, they can call him back into service any old time. 

Nat is in his 30s, tall, muscular, blue eyes and brown hair (buzzed, of course). Unlike a lot of his fellow soldiers, he doesn't have tattoos (he never got around to it and then when he entered the RESCU program they told him not to - he doesn't know if it really matters, but he doesn't want to take the risk). When he's in RESCU mode he wears a form-fitting red-and-white outfit, complete with paper-thin bulletproof nanofabric.

*I am aware that "Rescue" is a Marvel character, but mine's an acronym so it's totally different.

No comments:

Post a Comment