Pip-pip, etc.
The Game: The Agency
The Publisher: Realms
Degree of Familiarity: None
Books Required: Just the one
The Agency has the PCs working for the titular organization in a stylized 1960s London (but the game expects globe-trotting, taking inspiration from Bond and the like). Except not only do we deal with spies and terrorists, we've got werewolves and zombies and so forth. Dig it!
I mean, it's nothing I haven't seen before - secret organization of agents fighting the supernatural for King and Country - but it's smoothly written and simple. Can't argue with that. Also the game has a sense of humor that doesn't beat you in the face, and I appreciate that. Making a character for this game shouldn't take long, so let's do that!
First we need a concept. The book says that the Agency tends to recruit witnesses, so it's not like my agent needs to be a military or, like, espionage-y in background. Let's say my character is street vendor. Sells apples (and raspberries), took over the stand from his Dad, married but she ran off with a bloke from the US, take it or leave it, you know? The middle way, that's what I think. Sid Arthur (for 'tis his name) was, if not happy, then more contemplative than anything, and then one morning a group of agents chased a vampire right past his stand. The vampire was burning the early dawn light, and Sid, who knew evil when he saw it, tripped the bastard. The agents ran up and staked it, and then had a very difficult conversation on their hands.
Sid was happy to join up, though. He's not as suave or cultured as some of these toffs, but he's friendly and he's a good guy to have if your mission keeps you in London. Dubai, maybe not so much, but you know, he's learning.
Skills! I get one at 5 and one at 4, everything else is 3. Sure. I'll put my 5 in Persuade and my 4 in Track, how about.
Bonuses and Flaws! I have to take one of each, I can take two of each. Let's look through 'em and see what's appropriate for ol' Sid. OK, I found two of each I like. I want Keep 'em Talking (Sid can get anyone chatting), and I think it'd be cool if Sid had Mysticism. He's never been trained in such things, he just has an instinctive sense about magical shit. He's not going to be telling you about Romanian history anytime soon, but he can pick a yew wood stake out of a quiver without looking because that's what needs to go in that vampire's heart. Weird.
For Flaws, I want Reckless (it's not that Sid is really danger-prone or reckless per se, he just has this "let go, let God" kind of attitude) and Soft-Hearted (he really is a nice guy).
Finally, I get one Karma, three status boxes, and a Motif. A Motif is just a thing that recurs in our hypothetical TV series. For Sid, I think it's either got to be related to his weird knowledge of mystical shit, or his entirely too easy-going nature, and because I find the former more interesting I'll do that. His Motif is how did you know that?
And that's it, y'all. Sid is in his 30s, medium build, slightly balding, nice eyes, kind smile. He's not as glamorous as a lot of his co-workers, but that's fine, somebody's gotta drive the car and handle the bags, right?

No comments:
Post a Comment