Thursday, November 3, 2022

Character Creation: Running Out of Time

Insight into my Gen X brain: the title of this game puts this song in my head. Not that I'd seen the show for, what, 36 years, but that's my brain for ya.

The Game: Running Out of Time
The Publisher: Oldskull Publishing
Degree of Familiarity: None, but there ain't much to it
Books Required: Just the one

Cyberpunk dystopia in which time is the only real currency. Disease has been cured, people can live effectively forever, but there's only so much cake to go 'round, so everyone gets a lifewatch. Runs in my head there was a movie like this...yeah, In Time, starring Justin Timberlake. Ah, well, it's kind of a cool concept, anyway, so let's make a runner! 

Hey, for the second time in a row, most of this is random. Starting with three Attributes (Strength, Dexterity, Willpower), we roll 2d6+3 each and then I can switch any two. 12, 7, 5. Ugh. Well, I seem to be playing something of a big dummy. I think I'll keep this arrangement of stats. 

Right, now I roll a d6 for both HP and Time. I get 3 for HP and 6 for time. 

This next bit is pretty cool; there's a character that gives you a background based on your specific values of HP and Time. In my case, I'm a Salesperson. I get a box of merchandise and an electroshock weapon. 

Let's say my guy sells concert merch. There are still live shows in the dystopian future; I suspect they're pop-up gigs for the most part. So he gets his hands on merch from the artist ahead of time and sells it at the venue. The electroshock weapon is a taser or something he uses to defend his cashola (or the moments he sells stuff for, I dunno). 

Details! Another table! I get a neon tattoo and (personality trait table) I'm reserved. Sure, sounds good. Oh, hey, there's even a table with a bunch of random names. Well, I was gonna hit up a random name generator anyway, so sure, I'll roll on that. "Jeffery Bryum." Cool, sounds fine. 

So Jeffery was a low-level hustler and wannabe bouncer/security op (he's got the muscle but not the stomach). Last time he tried to sell stuff he got rolled, and later found out it was the artist's friends who did it. Jeffery kinda decided "fuck it all" at that point, and figured if everyone else is just out for their Moment, then he should be, too. He isn't loud about it, though - bragging embarrasses him and he feels stupid being threatening. 

Jeffery is big, beefy, hair shaved on the sides but growing out on top, and he's got a neon tattoo on his arm that says "BUY STUFF." 

And that's it. Simple little snacky game, this.

No comments:

Post a Comment