Wait, really? Yah rilly.
The Game: Exquisite Crimes, Goth Detectives
The Publisher: Better Dreams
Degree of Familiarity: None, though it's strangely compelling
Books Required: Just the one
You know, I kinda feel like I was born too soon sometimes. Like, I would not want to be young now, what with the world overtly on fire and the people in power having abandoned all pretense that they want folks alive, but when I was a late teen/early 20-something, it was not uncommon for us (where "us" meant me, my brother, and two or three of whoever we were hanging out with that day) to say "hey, I have this game, never played it, want to give it a whack?" And we played a bunch of things like that - Nightlife, Toon, Tank Girl, and so forth. But we were limited by the games of the day.
But now, shit, we have games like Exquisite Crimes, Goth Detectives which is literally two pages (one for the players, one for the GM, there's not even a cover) and it's basically a story starter of a game. Would it have been a long campaign? Of course not, but I can already picture how a couple of my college buds would have approached it, and it would have been amazing.
Ah, well. Time makes fools of us all.
So anyway, in this game chargen is largely random. You wind up with...well, a goth detective. Starting off, I need to decide which of three stats is best, average, and worst. My choices are Deathly, Exquisite, and Sharp. I think I'll lean in to the "goth" bit and make Exquisite my best, Sharp average, and Deathly worst. Note that there is no slot to write which is which, so I just put B/A/W next to the appropriate traits.
Singular talent! I shall roll and d6 and I get...I can find a hidden door or entrance anywhere. Dark Power, likewise a d6, I get...oh, perfect. I can declare (once per case) that I had a doomed love affair with an NPC of my choice.
I am haunted by (d6) my own dark deeds. Sure, why not. My inevitable DOOM is to die and return in the form of a spirit guide, in the shape of a wise but mocking raven. CAW CAW MOTHERFUCKERS.
Finally, name. Yes, there's random draw for this, too, but it requires a d20. My first name is Morrigan, and my last name is Ghoul. Morrigan Ghoul, Goth Detective.
Morrigan is slim, gaunt, androgynous, pale (doy), and constantly smells of cloves, but you never see him smoking them. In addition to black, he wears black, but also some silver Celtic jewelry. He insists his surname is pronounced "gull" rather than /gul/ and that it has nothing to do with flesh-eating monsters. Likewise, the fact that he's often whistling something from Sweeny Todd isn't something you should read into.
Off to solve crimes!

No comments:
Post a Comment