Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Character Creation: Goons in Space

Ugh, a week into June and just now doing this character. Even more embarrassing because the game is only 2 pages long. No air conditioning + X-Com 2 = Matt is a couch potato. 

The Game: Goons in Space
The Publisher: Squidhead Games
Degree of Familiarity: None, but again, two pages
Books Required: Just the one. "Book" is a strong term

Anyway, this is apparently a spinoff of something called "Tunnel Goons," with which I am unfamiliar. Goons in Space "a roleplaying game in a space setting," and basically that's all you get. There's a dice mechanic, chargen, and a 2d6 table to roll for a starting adventure. Go!

This isn't the kind of game I'm into nowadays, but boy howdy I'd have been super into it in the 90s when my crew was all about improv and roleplaying dialog but I couldn't get anyone to read books or remember systems or lore. 

Anyway, let's make a goon. This involves picking a starting profession and customizing as necessary. Let's roll on the adventure table, actually, to see what kind of space story I'd be playing in.

A roll of 8 gives me "the PCs are suddenly caught in a conflict between two warring families" (mentally add "BUT IN SPACE!" to that). Well, that to me suggests a "both alike in dignity" kind of situation, and I'm fine reprising my triumphant performance as Gregory, one of Capulet's goons in the worst production of Romeo & Juliet the University of Toledo has ever seen. This implies my character, let's name him "Gregorax" to make it more space-y, is your basic space jockey/pilot/rapscallion. I don't love any of the existing Archetypes for him, so I'll customize a "Family Retainer" one.

I get 4 Skills (one at 2, three at 1). I shall take Pilot, Shooting, Weapons (Gregorax, remember thy washing blow!), and Intimidation. Actually, let's ditch Shooting and take Diplomacy - Gregorax isn't as dumb as he looks. I'll put my 2-point into Weapons, the rest get 1. 

Three starting items, besides my two-way radio and portable computer. I'll take a Shock Staff, a Padded Vest, and Vision Goggles. 

That's basically it! Gregorax is a large dude, thick and stout, head shaved but for tufts of blond hair down the middle of his head. He wears blue-tinted glasses and tends to speak in a very monosyllabic, dumb-guy kind of way, but he knows whether, for example, the law is on your side if you admit to biting your thumb at some dude. 

No comments:

Post a Comment