Here I am living alone for a bit while Michelle is off living her rock n' roll scholar lifestyle, not perhaps as lucid as I would like to be, between lack of sleep and the humidity/heat, but what the hey, let's make a character for a really interesting-looking game.
The Game: Fae's Anatomy: A Melodramatic Medical Mystery RPG
The Publisher: Hebanon Games
Degree of Familiarity: None, but I've watched all of House and I do diagnostics for a living
Books Required: Just the one
I gotta say, between Red Markets and this game, I have a lot of respect for the designer. It's easy to make up a setting with some compelling elements, it's even fairly easy to come up with a dice system that simulates whatever kind of action you're looking for well enough. But Hebanon Games' RPGs (all two of them now) are so damn tight and focused, none of this "this game can do anything you want!" crap.
Anyway, FAMMM is a game in which most players are Providers (doctors) of various supernatural stripes, while the GM, kinda, is the Patient. The Patient has a disease, with a super- and a -natural component, and gets to roleplay symptoms but never say the name of said symptom. The Providers spend Expertise and perform tests to figure out what's going on. There's even an app.
All in all, it looks like a lot of fun, and plays to my love of mystery, player agency, and focus on acting, so yeah, probably have to run it at some point. Meantime, though, let's make a provider.
First thing I do is choose Specializations. I get one Super- and one -Natural, and I'm to roll for 'em. 5 and 8 would give me either Alchemical Pathologist or Sorcerous Lab Tech. Ooh, tough call. I think I'll go with the latter, though, since I already made a pathologist back here.
My lab tech's name is Dr. Dee, PhD, MD, DPhil, DDS. Yeah, he's got all those degrees, but really he just likes collecting things with "D" in the name. He's heard all the "D" jokes, thanks, and it's not like that. Necessarily. I picture Dr. Dee looking like a young Jeffrey Combs in Re-Animator, right down to the businesslike demeanor hiding madness within. But Dee isn't necessarily the creepy kind of mad, he just winds up talking like V (as in "for Vendetta") only using "d" words.
(Were I to play this guy, I would need to make a list of words and phrases.)
Anyway! The only other bit of chargen is Associates, which normally would require more PCs, but it's cool, I'll make some folks up.
Rival: Dr. Dee can't stand William W. Woofrum, the werewolf what waits with white wingtips. William is another lab tech (though he prefers to call himself a "whitecoat"), and Dee doesn't dig dreadful dog demons.
Crush: There's a fellow who drives an ambulance. His name is Derrick Demoyne. Dee doesn't know his middle name, but oh, if it's David. Dare a deprived doctor to dream?
Bestee: The statue of the hospital's patron, St. Draco of Damascus. The statue doesn't normally talk to Dee (or anyone, really), but Dee still feels like it's the best listener in the place. And sometimes it deigns to discuss dire difficulties.
Deity: Anything that starts with "d", really. Demeter, Dionysis, Durga, Danu, Dagon...
And that's me done!


No comments:
Post a Comment