Need a quick character since it's been a bit (but the last character I made was the 80th this year, so I could theoretically still hit 100 before New Year's, especially if all the schools close again) and I'm running Masks today. So I'm cuing up Newcleus and gettin' sci-fi.
The Game: vs. Mirrorshades
The Publisher: Denagh Design
Degree of Familiarity: None
Books Required: Just the pamphlet
vs. Mirrorshades, much like the other "vs." games, is a quick little card-based thing. It's cyberpunk, set "20 minutes in the future", and involves cyber augmentation and suchlike.
First thing I need is a name and a concept. Well, going with the song currently playing ("Automan"), and drawing on the movie Her a little, I'll say that my guy is an average netizen who stumbled across a next-gen AI and fell in love with it. His name is Roman Vargas, but online he goes by ARROW'D.
Health: I start with 10, so that's easy.
Stats: Metal, Meat, Move, and Mind. I get 6, 5, 3, 3 to split up. I think I want the 6 in Mind. I'll put the 5 in Metal, and that leaves 3s in Meat and Move.
Qualities: I get 1 or 2 Good Qualities, and I must take an equal number of Bad ones to balance out. I'll take Everybody (I blend into crowds), and Well-Connected (my love affair with the AI has opened a lot of doors). For the Bads, I'll take Weak (8 Health instead of 10), and Combat Paralysis. Roman's not a fighty guy.
Augmentations: I get 2 of these puppies. Well, Neural Access System sounds about right. And then I'll take Cybereyes. He got those implanted so he could "see" his AI lover more easily.
Gear: I get a Personal Access Device, which I figure in his case is maybe just something that wirelessly syncs with his eyes and Neurals. I get a weapon for close-up and one for far away. I'm figuring Roman has a taser and a pistol, but isn't very comfortable using either. He's also a device that helps him do crime, so I'll say he's got a software hack he calls "ground floor" - basically it makes low-level detection and security ignore him. Won't get him out of a checkpoint or through a locked door, but nagware and the like will overlook him.
Create the Megacity: I get to name an organization that's doing oppressive shit. Well, obviously this should be the corp that developed the AI.
Blakote, Inc. is a software developer specializing in heuristics and other fancy words. They developed an AI they refer to as "Miles," as in "miles above the competition, hur hur" but they're actually really scared of it. Miles is powerful enough to "mirror" themself out in the world, but only for a short time. Blakote, meanwhile, is actively stifling and sabotaging other corps' attempts to perfect AI until they get a handle on what Miles really is.
Trouble is, Miles met and fell in love with Roman, and now Roman is trying to free Miles. Blakote, beware!
Roman is in his late 30s. Dark brown hair, brown eyes, bit of a gut, not very coordinated and very much not in shape (tends to eat junk food and nutrient paste because he'd rather be on the net). His cyber-eyes can change color, but he usually doesn't bother because he likes the way his eyes looked before the implants (though he really likes being able to see net-stuff while walking around).
And that'll do it!

No comments:
Post a Comment