Why,
you might ask, are you doing a lengthy character rather than writing?
Well, it's like this. I have two active contracts presently. One is due
"by the end of December," which is next week, and I'm about half done.
The other is due in late March, and I have no intention of starting it
until February or so (I will, at the point, require playtesters). I
could be writing the thing due next week, but I'm crashing and I have no
idea why. It's not as bad as it was last week when I actually felt
dizzy and unwisely drove home (I was fine, people), but I just
feel tired. And I totally feel like writing something, but I don't much
feel like writing this. Normally, in this case, I'd suck it up and get
my wheels going, but I want this stuff to be good (since I'm only doing
one draft, AFAIK), so I'll wait.
Running around doing errands
this morning might have wiped me out a little, I guess. Ah, well. I can
certainly write the rest of this by next week, probably even by Friday,
even with the holiday. And since my developer isn't responding to
emails, I have to assume that he's not exactly champing at the bit to
get this draft in (probably offline for holidays himself), so you know,
I'm not concerned.
Ooh! Also, I don't have a contract. So why am I sweating this at all? Geez.
The Game: Fireborn
The publisher: Fantasy Flight Games
Degree of familiarity:
None. I've read the Player's Handbook and most of the Gamemaster's
Handbook (having purchased the former at Half-Price Books for about $5
and become interested), but never played it, despite my best efforts to
find a game at a con.
Books required: The core and, if you're lucky, the Lost Lore thingie with the errata (which I have).
OK,
this is an interesting game with a system that just leaves me dizzy.
The idea is that magic has returned to the world, mostly in London,
apparently. The Fireborn are reincarnations of dragons, and you're meant
to spend a few sessions in your human form remembering your past, at
which point you create your dragon self. Eventually, you get powerful
enough to turn into a fucking dragon. Some scenes are told in flashback,
and flashbacks can be triggered at any time. When you flash back you
play a scene as your dragon-self, and then jump back to "now", hopefully
having just remembered some vital piece of information.
Here's
the thing, though: The combat system, in particular, looks so
complicated that I can't imagine doing a "quick" combat with it. I mean,
OWoD was weird, but once you had it down it wasn't horrible (the trick
was getting it down, and even when everyone at the table knew it, Werewolf combats still took forever, but I digress). I seriously considered running Fireborn,
and then my eyes glazed over every time I tried to read the combat
stuff. And it's billed as an action-type game, so combat would probably
be important. Maybe someday I'll get up the nerve to try it, but I'd
much rather play it. But, again, I've never found anyone to run it.
Anyway,
I want to make a character who just bulldozes his way through life.
He's not a pugilist, but he's pushy, domineering and direct. That's not
all bad, though. I think he's damned good at his job, whatever that is,
because he doesn't take "no" for an answer. People just don't call his
bluffs, because they know he doesn't make bluffs.
So what
does a guy like that do? I'd say law, but the legal system is different
in England and I wouldn't know how to approach it. On the other hand,
playing someone like Nicholas Angel (in Hot Fuzz) might be fun.
But I think someone who is up in the ranks of the police force a bit
more, someone who can make some decisions, is more in keeping with the
concept. OK. Looking up some Wiki pages, I find that this character
really should be an Inspector or Chief Inspector. I'll go with the
former, but say that he's a Detective Inspector (DI).
Detective
Inspector Robert Henry (he's heard the "Bobby" joke too many time,
thanks all the same) lives for the job. He's not sure what drew him to
police work - he identifies with the criminals as often as not, he
despises lawyers and their ilk, and he's not crazy about some of the
scum he has to protect. All the same, like any good detective, he hates a
mystery. His idea of paradise is someplace flat, someplace where no one
can hide. He's got a fixation with birds of prey; he has an eagle
tattooed on his back, the imprint of a hawk stamped on his wallet. The
notion of swooping down and snatching up prey makes him salivate, and he
insists on being in on every major sting operation his department
performs. It's not that he wants the credit; he lets his Inspectors take
that. He just likes the look on the criminals faces when the realize we're for it now.
Henry
was married, but his wife left him. When they got married, she loved
him for his strength. She came from a family of domineering men, and
here was a guy who would stand up to her father and brothers. The magic
ended when she realized he was just like her father, and she
found the strength to walk out. Henry, in that moment, suffered his only
real defeat. There was no way to just barrel through that - fixing his
marriage would have required something he wasn't prepared to give. In
retrospect, it was probably just as well (given that he's actually a dragon),
but he still loves Estelle. He keeps tabs on her, and they talk from
time to time. Woe to anyone that hurts her (hey, GM! There's your
hook!).
OK, I think that pretty much knocks out concept. What's next? Step Two: Aspects.
Huh. For the second time recently, I've got these elemental aspect thingies. I get 28 points to divvy up among the four aspects.
Fire
and Earth are definitely Rob's strong points. I'll dump 10 points into
each, for a score of 5 ("extreme human capability), and split the other 8
points between Air and Water (for scores of 3; "average human
capability").
Now, Step Three: Choose Background.
Background gives me Wealth, primary and secondary skills, a list of
edges to choose, and fighting style ranks. Let's have a look. I think
it's pretty clear I'm a Cop, so I'll take that background. That gives me
Wealth 2 (Poverty, WTF? I'll need to raise that), 4 ranks in my primary
skills (Knowledge: Law, Knowledge: Street, Melee and Ranged) and 2 in
my secondary skills (Interaction, Senses, Trickery and Travel).
For
edges, I can choose from Aggressive, Daunting or Network. Let's look
those up. Hmm. They all fit, but I'm going with Network (police). Rob's
got a rep as a stand-up (if hard-nosed) cop.
Step Four: Choose Sire.
My Sire is a dragon of myth that acts as my scion's spiritual example,
whether or not he knows it. Looking at the list, Hydra and Typhon look
interesting, but they don't really touch on the hunter aspect that I
want. I finally choose Cernunnos, the Horned One. Adds an interesting
touch to someone who could just be a brute. That gives me 4 Fighting
Style ranks, whatever the hell that means, 1 bonus Karma, and my choice
of Aggressive, Animal Affinity, or Brutal edges. This time, I'll take
Aggressive. I get a a free re-roll for one skill of my choosing. I'll
save that choice until after I do my bonus points.
Step Five: Dependent Traits and Finishing Touches.
OK, first off, dependent traits. Seems these are based on aspects,
which apparently you can't raise with bonus points. Hopefully I'm right.
OK, my Number of Moves in an active sequence is 5 (equal to Fire), in a
reactive sequence is 3 (Water). My karmic range is 3 (Air). My karma
pool is 25 (Earthx5) plus 1 from my Sire (26).
My initiative is 8
(Fire+Air). You know, there's nowhere on the sheet to write most of
this, but since you can shift dice from one aspect to another, this shit
all changes anyway.
Health. Here we go, this is on the sheet.
OK, based on my Earth of 5, I get 5 minor wound boxes open. And then you
needed 3 wounds to even hurt me (Water of 3). I think I got it right.
Bonus
points! I can spend a number of bonus points on my physical skills
equal to Fire + Water (8), and, coincidentally, on mental skills equal
to Earth + Air (also 8). I can't raise my primary skills (they're maxed
at 4), so I'll spend my physical points on Athletics (2), Stamina (4),
and Quickness (2). For mental, I'll buy Will (4, since that's for
intimidation), Ka (2) and Research (2).
Now I get one bonus
edge. 'Scuse me a moment. OK, there are a few that work, but I'll take
Forceful Will (Gaze), giving me 1 reroll on social tests when Rob can
fix his scary-ass glare on someone. Also, while I'm thinking about it,
I'll put my Aggressive edge toward Melee. I also get 1 in Group Mind.
Fighting
Style Ranks...geez, here we go. I get 6, altogether. I'll buy Street
Fighting (looks vicious), which costs me 2, and I'll burn my other 4 on
Gun-Fu, because, y'know, bad ass.
This would have me go
through possessions and so on. I know I want Rob to have a gun, but I
also know that guns aren't as easy to come by in England because British
people don't have a Constitution like we do. That'd be something I take up with my GM, but as I don't have one, we'll just move briskly along to...
Dragon Phase!
My brother and I made up a game for OWoD about dragon-human hybrids. Jon, we were
ahead of our time, and we should have fucking published. Oh, well.
Step One: Concept.
I'm going advanced, BTW, and making a dragon from scratch. Anyway, I
think my dragon was like Rob in one important way - implacable. But he
was more graceful, too, swooping down to pluck his prey from the earth.
He preferred to hunt across plains, because there's no way to hide from
him there. He's aloof, menacing, hungry, but fair. "Fair," of course,
comes with recognition that he's the dragon and you aren't, so maybe you
shouldn't bitch if he eats your sheep a little. The dragon's name was
Belatucadros, a name for the horned god of war. I think that he was
available to fight on your side, if your cause was just. He wasn't so
into being bribed, because he figured he could just take what he wanted
anyway.
Visually, I see Belatucadros as a huge, sleek,
blue-green dragon with big ol' horns. Definitely wings, and I'm thinking
that swooping down and clawing the shit out of his foes was his primary
attack.
Step Two: Aspects. As above, but 40 points to
spend. The distribution's going to be a little different here. I'll give
myself Water 6, Fire 5, Earth 3 and Air 5. Belatucadros is less durable
(pound for pound) than his human scion will be, but he's faster by far.
I also get 15 points to give myself superhuman aspects. These
superhuman points get subtracted first when penalties come round, which I
assume is good. I can't go higher than my base score, so I'll put 3
into Earth, Fire and Air and 6 into Water (fast and hard to hit).
Step Three: Choose Outlook.
Adventurer isn't bad, but I see Belatucadros as more focused than that.
He's a hunter, a mercenary but also a judge. Let's go with Warrior.
That gives me 6 ranks in Athletics, Melee, Quickness and Will, and 3 in
Ranged and Stamina. I get 14 Style Picks, whatever that means, and 2
spell picks, and 2 Hoard.
Step Four: Choose Breed. Now
the fun bit - making the dragon itself. For his dominant breed, which
determines overall body shape, I'll go Drake - not quite as massive as
Beast, but with some capacity for fine motor control. For minor breed, I
know I want something with a high Flight rating. Oh, I want Horns, too.
That'd be Noble Dragon, then. I get these powers: Alternate Form,
Nobility, and any other two powers. I get to prioritize these with 5, 4,
3, 2 ranks, so I'll give myself 5 ranks in Nobility (I'm scary and I
inspire my friends), 4 in Heightened Senses (3 into Sight, one into
Hearing), 3 in Gaze of the Predator and 2 in Alternate Form (human and
hawk).
Step Five: Choose Legacy. I'll take Storm Lord. I
like the idea of Belatucadros swooping out of a tornado, calling down
lightning on his foes, and generally riding the winds. Awesome.
Step Six: Dependent Traits and Finishing Touches.
As before, mostly. For bonus points, I can start with skills higher
than 4 (clearly, since I have a bunch at 6), so I'll g'head and spend my
11 points thusly: Travel 5, Melee 2 (for a total of 8), Stamina 2 (for a
total of 5), Quickness 2 (for a total of 8). My 8 points in
Mental...hmm. I guess I should take some Casting, so I can
actually use magic. OK, I'll put 1 there, 1 into Interaction, 3 into
Knowledge: War, 2 into Ka, and one into Senses.
Evidently, I also get 5 ranks in edges. Wait, actually, I get five Edges,
ranked 5 to 1. Boy, I'd never have figured that out if it weren't for
Stew's character. Weird. OK, I'll put Casting at 1. I'll take Stealthy
(hide and drop, same principle), I'll take Follow-Through at 3, Survivor
at 4 (I'm a dodging fool) and Aspect Affinity (Fire) at 5.
I
get 2 spell picks and 14 style picks. Yi. I'll take Cat's Eyes and
Sidestep for my spells. For Fighting Style picks, I'll take Crushing
Mass, Ravager, Archangel and Swift. Belatucadros is fast, and can rip
you apart. Rar!
Now, thinking about Belatucadros' lair: I think
he took over a village in the mountains, after he killed off the
inhabitants as part of an agreement with another faction of humans. He
left the houses, such as they were, standing, and lived among them,
dropping stuff he hoarded off in barns and whatnot. Getting there
without flying is hard - the mountain is always stormy, and Belatucadros
takes invasion of privacy very seriously.



No comments:
Post a Comment