Sunday, October 30, 2016

Move #375: The Lost Boys

The Lost Boys is a 1987 vampire flick directed by Joel Schumacher and starring Jason Patrick, Kiefer Sutherland, Barnard Hughes, Dianne Wiest, Corey Haim, Corey Feldman, Jamison Newlander, Jami Gertz, Chance Michael Corbitt, Alex Winter, Edward Hermann, and I could seriously keep going. 

Michael (Patrick) and Sam (Haim) move to Santa Carla, CA with their mother Lucy (Wiest) following her divorce, to live with their grandfather (Hughes). They immediately discover that Santa Carla is weird; there are a lot of missing people. Michael meets Star (Gertz) and falls in deep smit, but Star is apparently attached to David (Sutherland) and his gang. They take Michael in and give him "wine", which turns him into a half-vampire; he starts craving blood and going feral. Oh, and flying. 

His brother Sam enlists the help of the Frog brothers, Edgar and Allen (Feldman and Newlander, respectively), and together they slay the vampires, including the head vampire Max (Hermann), whom Lucy has been dating. Michael, Star, and Laddie (Corbitt), a little boy who got turned into a half-vampire somewhere along the way, all return to normal. The end!

I love this movie. I had forgotten how much. There was a time when I could have started doing the dialog and probably gone through the whole film. It's not quite that bad anymore, but I'm definitely still very familiar with the beats, and it's fun to watch Sutherland and the other vampires defer to Max (their "father") before you get that reveal. I did feel that having Max asked to be invited in was a little bit of a giveaway, but I've watched it with enough people who weren't aware of that particular bit of vampire lore that I have to admit it was effectively. 

Anyway. The hairstyles have aged, but the effects hold up pretty well. You don't see the vampires fly, instead you get the camera POV flying through the air and closeups on terrified victims, which works nicely. And the movie is actually not terribly gory; there's the massacre at the bonfire, but apart from a couple of shots of people getting bitten it's pretty understated. 

I have not seen the sequels, and y'know, I think maybe I won't. Why screw with perfectly good material? 

My grade: A
Rewatch value: High

Next up: Love Potion #9