The Game: Wytch Mountain
The Publisher: Knight Owl Publishing
Degree of Familiarity: None
Books Required: "Book," sure.
The Publisher: Knight Owl Publishing
Degree of Familiarity: None
Books Required: "Book," sure.
I mean, it's a zine and it never claimed to be anything else. I don't know why "witch" is misspelled, and I don't know what part of this they think is folk horror, other than the fact that there's witches in it. It's one of these "bare-bones systems, character creation, bestiary, iunno, get to it" sorts of games, and frankly I need to stop backing these because they just feel half-done to me. But it's also only 34 pages and I'm pressed for time today, so hyry wy gy! (I'll stop.)
First thing we do is roll for Ability Scores, which in this case are Strength, Dexterity, and Intelligence. Sure. (As a side note, why in a game about witches are we giving physical stuff more granularity than mental/spiritual?) Anyway, we roll and check if the dice are even/odd and in what combination. Both even is the most desirable result. So we get: 2,2; 2,6; 4,1. So close! So my Strength and Dexterity are both +2 and my Intellgience is +1. Noice.
Oh, bother, I went and wrote those scores in, but your class can change them. Serves me right for not reading ahead. Anyway, next step is Class. I think I wanna be a Leyline Witch. That boosts my Dexterity and Int by one (+3 and +2, respectively). I get a dagger, an Amulet of Protection, some bone jewelry, and my first spell is Tell Me Your Secrets (I can force someone to tell the truth with a bit of hair or fingernail).
Cool. My HP is 1d6 + Str, so...4 (ugh). My Warding is 10 + Dex + any other bonuses. Do I have any? Yeah, I get +1 from my amulet. So that's 14. I start with 1d6 gold pieces, which is the only thing that tells me we're in a fantasy setting (and I rolled a 1). I get Spell Points equal to INT + level, so 3 for me.
Roll 2d6 for a weakness...I cannot step over salt. And then I get a Last Curse; I can only cast it once and it kills me, so it's best saved for when I'm dying anyway. I roll and get...The Withering. One target's STR drops by 1d6. Hopefully that's enough to kill a motherfucker.
That's it! Let's name my witch Bartleby. Bartleby is big on doorways and thresholds - everything's on the other side of something. That's probably why a doorway blocked with salt fucks with him so - salt is curative, preservative, and draws out the life; it makes a door not a door. Anyway, Bartleby is skinny, gaunt, and has a habit of popping out from behind doors.


No comments:
Post a Comment