MUSHROOM MUSHROOM
(badger badger badger etc)
The Game: Mycelium Soup
The Publisher: Kids in the Attic
Degree of Familiarity: None, but it ain't complicated
Books Required: Just the one
Mycelium Soup is one of those rare games that looks well-designed, art is fun, concept is tight, and I want nothing to do with it. That's no slam against the game, it's just that the game is about hunting and killing animals for meat, and while I may once have had a few players that would get into it, I know that it'd be a hard line for a bunch of my friends now (probably me, too, if I'm honest).
![]() |
| If you told me this was from a TTRPG, I wouldn't assume it was something you play |
But like I said, the game looks cool, so let's make a shroom hunter! (Not a shroom-hunter.)
This is a really quick process:
It's not on this list, but the first step is actually to pick a tribe. That effectively acts as your class; the picture of that horrible thing up there is a "Fungus Gourmand." I, however, wish to make a Thornweaver. Annnnd there's no spot for that on sheet. Not off to a great start, guys.
Well, anyway, I get to pick a Skill from Crafting Trapmaking, and Survival to get a +1. I shall pick Trapmaking. I get to split 3 points into Strength, Agility, and Wit (which isn't on the "Basics" list, either, c'mon, man). I'm gonna leave Strength at 0, put 2 in Agility and one in Wit. I get a vine rope and a spear, and I roll 1d6 for Meat (which acts as currency)...1. Well, just means I'm hungry.
My character's name is Skypierce. He's happy to set traps for catching land animals, but what he really wants is to catch flying creatures - birds and bats. Either's good. Bats have more meat, birds are slightly easy to trap, but mostly he just likes seeing things fall from the sky and wind up (eventually) in the Soup.
And that's it!




No comments:
Post a Comment