Sunday, April 20, 2025

Character Creation: Cryptid Creeks

What I really need to do today is reread Wearing the Cape, since we're doing chargen tomorrow, but I've got time for this first.

The Game: Cryptid Creeks
The Publisher: Hatchlings Games
Degree of Familiarity: None
Books Required: Just the one

Cryptid Creeks is a Carved From Brindlewood game (named for Brindlewood Bay), and as such shares DNA with PbtA and Forged in the Dark games. You're playing River Scouts, kids who stumbled on the ghosts of the original River Scouts from the 60s and have taken on the mantle and the task of investigating the eerie truths of the town of Clawfoot. Shades of Scooby-Doo, sure, but Hot Fuzz is also listed as an inspiration and I thought that was pretty cool.

As with Brindlewood Bay, there's an overarching threat. It's pretty well-defined, here, and I think the game strikes a nice balance between the "find clues, ask the questions, solve the mystery but also decide what the answer is" play style of Brindlewood and giving the game a bit of structure. It'd be fun to give it a try, especially with a group that doesn't groove on aspects of Brindlewood Bay as much. Let's make a River Scout! 

As with Brindlewood, chargen is at the end of the book in the Pilot Episode section.

First step is actually to pick a playbook; these steps are after everyone's looked at the playbooks and picked which one they like. I think I'll pick...the Sailor (my other choice was the Misfit, but I really do love water-stuff in RPGs. Maybe it's because I get seasick in real life, I dunno).

I shall name my sailor Jetsam Stafford (yes, his real name is "Jetsam," yes, his father was a bit of a dick, yes, he goes by "Jet," yes, he has a sister named "Flotsam" who goes by "Flo," let's move on). His Style is grease monkey - jeans, t-shirt, overalls sometimes, tools in pockets, grease stains on face. I think he's got red-brown hair (always dirty), a button nose and a determined face.

I add one to an Ability. Let's see. Most of the moves you roll with whatever's appropriate, so I don't need to shore up any one particular Ability. Let's boost Smart, then.

I get a playbook move, and obviously I want just needs a tune-up. Also, I have to look at Watcher's Gift move. I can summon The Eye of the Storm, a spectral boat, so that's pretty awesome. But, I have to choose situations in which it can't manifest. Let's say it can't appear in stormy weather, and it can't appear when Jetsam and Flotsam are together (obviously I wouldn't do that if another player were going to play her). 

Mark two end-of-episode questions...I'll take did you display doubt toward the supernatural, despite everything? and did you place your trust in the abilities of a fellow Scout? I see Jet being kind of a skeptic where supernatural shit is concerned. I also think that wouldn't last long, but it might just get more focused ("OK, those spirits exist, but that doesn't mean that there's a bigfoot!"). 

And that'll do it!



No comments:

Post a Comment