Tuesday, January 7, 2025

Character Creation: Swords of Meropis

First character of 2025!

I've been shooting for 120 characters a year the last couple of years. In 2024 I did 116, so pretty close. I actually stopped a little shy of 120 because I presently at 901 characters done, and I want to end 2025 with an even 1000 (giving this post and this post 500 each). 

Of course, the other interesting data point is that in January 2024 I had 206 games left to do, I did 116 in 2024, and now in January 2025 I have...184 left to do. That means I somehow picked up 94 games during 2024. Maybe in 2025 I'll be a little more circumspect in what I buy or back. I am kinda running out of room for games. 

But then, I could second guess my hobby all I want, but the truth is I really like getting and reading new games. I like the occasional glimpses of real talent and originality I get. And, who knows, maybe in a few more years I'll be able to attend Origins without having a panic attack or anyone grabbing torches and pitchforks (I'm kidding, no one who would actually care that I attend has the courage to actually say anything to me about it). 

For now:

The Game: Swords of Meropis
The Publisher: Gallant Knight Games
Degree of Familiarity: None
Books Required: Just the one

The actual title of the game is Swords of Meropis And the Wretched Blood of the Undying Witchgod, which is more than a little unwieldy. I read this book a few months ago, or tried to, retained exactly nothing, thought "ugh, boring, I'll do it some other time" and then picked it up last night and read it...and I'm honestly not sure if I actually did read this game before. It's actually pretty cool. Reminds me a bit of Agon, inasmuch as its tone is a kind of mythic sword-and-sandals heroic sort of thing. Its setting is pretty reminiscent of Greek myth, especially with how the names sound, but it's an original setting (so far as I know) and it looks perfectly playable.

In addition, it does some pretty original things with XP and character advancement, and has a sample campaign that includes a whole hexcrawl system. I dunno, I think I'd give this a try. For now, of course, let's make a sword...guy. We start with 3d6 into each of the four Attributes (Wise, Hale, Agile, Mighty, which I just realized spells WHAM). Rolling gives me:

Wise 10
Hale 13
Agile 15
Mighty 4

JFC. Well, anyway, I can now choose to add 3 points into Attributes (either by raising one by 3, one by 2 and one by 1, or three by 1). I think I shall raise my Mighty to 7, thanks. 

I now get 10 Skill ranks to spend, but I can't spend more than 3 on a given Skill. Each rank raises a skill by a die type, meaning that the highest a Skill can be at chargen is a d8. 

Well, since my guy is quite fast and nimble (that's just the way the dice landed, I swear!) I shall buy Ranged up to d8. I'll raise Acrobatics, why not lean into my proclivities for the first character of the year. I'll put that at d6. I'll buy a d4 of Traveling, Politics, Reading/Writing, Religion, and Learning, and that's all 10. 

I get armor, a one-handed weapon, and a shield. My guy obviously has light armor, and I'll say the weapon is a javelin - he can stab with it, but would rather throw it. 

And I think that's it, actually. There are Knacks, but it doesn't say I get one to start (honestly the character creation section could stand to be a little clearer - this actually happens a lot, where character creation sections just kinda...peter out three-quarters of the way through but never say "OK, you're done!"). 

Well, my guy's name is Chysmas. He was originally meant to be a god-caller, studied at the temple of Theniena, Goddess of Passion and everything, but he just...couldn't find the voice. His teachers eventually told him to leave because he wasn't making progress, and he struck off on his own, determined to find something he could be passionate about. Maybe then Theniena will find him worthy. 

Tall, lanky, lean, like a lot of my characters (though in fairness we're approaching 1000, there's gonna be some overlap no matter what I do). Sandy blonde hair, cleft lip (javelin accident - turns out holding one while riding takes some practice), blue eyes. 

That'll do it!


No comments:

Post a Comment