SNOOOOOOOOOORT
The Game: Cocaine Owlbear
The Publisher: Fainting Goat Games
Degree of Familiarity: None yet!
Books Required: Just the one
What a time to be alive.
Cocaine Owlbear is obviously inspired (font and all) by Cocaine Bear, but the game system is taken from Honey Heist, a game in which you play bears doin' a heist of, well, honey. The central theme of the game system is that you've got two tracks (in this case, Cocaine and Woodland Creature), and you'll fluctuate between them. Max out either one, and you're out of the game (either losing sentience and returning to just being a standard owlbear or deer or whatever, or turning to a life of crime and betraying your crew).
I'm actually gonna run a one-shot of this game on Monday, so I figure I should make a character. Also I haven't finished reading Far West yet, so I can't do that one today.
So first I roll to see what kind of critter I am. There are actually two tables with six possibilities each, so let's just roll a d12, shall we? A roll of 2 means I am a ferret! On cocaine! That's exciting. That gives me the Master of Disguise talent, letting me change into a variety of ridiculous costumes to fool people.
Next we roll for a descriptor...Curious! So far, so good.
What did I loot from the courier that we found? A long coat! Makes sense for a master of disguise.
My role in the party is...muscle. My strength and ferocity make me the primary enforcer. Seems silly, given that I am but a wee mustelid, but ferrets can be pretty intense.
And then we roll for a magic spell! But...there are two tables. Do I roll on both? Just one?
(This game is not well explained, I have to say. And I've found two actual play videos, and neither of them address this.)
Screw it, let's say I get one of each. I get an Arcana spell and a Pastoral spell. For Arcana, I get...Gord's Gravity Gail! Gravity in a localized area goes wacky. Neat! For Pastoral, I get...Ivy League! I can make local plant life create a quick ladder.
I start with 3 in Cocaine and Woodland Creature (my two stats), and that's it, son! My coked-out ferret's name is Rigley. He's not sure why, that's just what he's started thinking of himself as since the cocaine. If the coke wears off, will he still be Rigley? Is Rigley just the coke, or is it the ferret, or some unholy amalgam thereof? I'M FREAKIN' OUT MAN. SNOOOOORT.
(I can't wait to run this.)


No comments:
Post a Comment