Monday, January 16, 2023

Character Creation: Stealing Stories for the Devil

Very quick chargen today, but since I read the game, might as well make a character.

The Game: Stealing Stories for the Devil
The Publisher: Monte Cook Games
Degree of Familiarity: None, but I'm running a one-shot this weekend
Books Required: Just the one (technically the game is three books, but actually I just need one of them anyway)

In this game, you're playing time traveling thieves and con-artists who go back in time to the ancient, unenlightened days of (checks watch) now, to steal a [thing] in order to stop reality from unraveling. It's pretty dope.

All characters start aboard the 39th century spaceship Celeste, and I can either be a Sleeper (someone who's been in cryo up until now) or a Scion (the descendant of someone who did not get put into cryo, by accident). I can see the appeal of either, but I think I'll go with Scion because I find them more interesting at first blush. 

So all characters here have to have some affinity for being all sneaky and stuff - we can Lie to reality and shift it. The specifics of that power determine the next step, in fact. I can be a Schemer, a Plotter, or a Planner. Plotter (Lie to affect time) or Schemer (Lie to affect people) are the ones that appeal most; I think I'll go the face route and be a Schemer. 

I picture my Liar as being young, but not a kid. Maybe the sort of person who can change apparent age by changing clothes or throwing on a little stubble. I get two Traits, and I can take both slots in the same Trait and be Very Good at it, or be Good at two. I think I shall do the latter and be Fast and Charming.

And now I get three Skills. I get Stealth or Deception for free; I shall take Deception. I want Climbing as a Skill, and then...hmm. Fast-talking? I don't think that's too different in scope from the Skills on the list (Fast-Talk isn't there)...ooh, no, wait, let's make it Disguise.

Detriment! Can't be good at everything. My guy gets winded easily; he's fine for short bursts of energy and effort but not at sustained activity. Easily Winded? Feels like there's a better way to say that. Eh, "Unhealthy" is one of the choices on the list, I'll just take that.

Side Goal! Everybody has a thing they like to do. If they do it on a mission, they get a Story Point. I'll say my guy likes to fool people. Sure, that's what we're kinda here to do generally, but in his case, it's about convincing somebody of something that just ain't so, without Lying. 

That's all the decisions and stuff! My guy's name is Falc. His particular sub-section of the Celeste takes names from the Machine Gods, which means looking at something displayed on a screen to name children. His dad named him but has since died, and Falc never got around to asking him what he's named after. Falcon? Falchion? Falco, the guy that did "Amadeus?" Anyway, Falc has dark hair, a lean build, and a baby face unless he puts on a fake beard, in which case he looks 10 years older almost immediately. 

And that's it!

No comments:

Post a Comment