Awoo, again.
The Game: Lone Wolf Adventure Game
The Publisher: Cubicle 7
Degree of Familiarity: None
Books Required: Well, see, it's a whole boxed set
So evidently, there was a choose-your-own-adventure style book series set in this world, which I missed entirely. The RPG is basically baby's first D&D, to the point that it has a cardboard coin to flip into the box lid to choose a random number, just in case the concept of "d10" is too much for your table. The world is fine; characters are "Kai Lords," folks who study at the Monastery of Kai and then become wandering do-gooders.
I kind of giggle reading the book, because it treads so carefully around basic RPG concepts, but honestly, no more so than, say, the basic set of TSR's old Marvel Superheroes game, which is where I cut my teeth. I'm out of touch with gaming trends, but I wonder if the Boxed Set might be a viable strategy again, since legacy board games and stuff like Gloomhaven have introduced saga gaming to folks who aren't steeped in the hobby.
Well, anyway, let's make a Kai Lord. I shall use the "master" rules because they're the most like chargen rules here.
First steps, I determine my Combat, Endurance, and Willpower. I do that by choosing a random number (very strange to see a book say "choose a random number" instead of "roll a die", but the effect is much the same) and add 10, 20, and 10 respectively. So basically I need three d10 rolls. 9, 3, 6. Combat is 19, Endurance is 23, Willpower is 16.
Next, we choose Kai Disciplines. I get 5. Let's check 'em out!
Well, I think I'll lean into my high Combat Skill and take Weaponskill. This gives me some proficiency with a particular weapon, but what I don't see is whether I could take it twice and learn to use more than one. Looks like no. Ah, well. You know, I'll roll for my weapon. Fate says...broadsword! Sure. So my guy is a kind of traditional warrior. I dig it. I think I shall take Healing, as well, because it's not obvious. I'll take Mindshield, Sixth Sense, and Animal Kinship. So basically all the nice-nice ones, but then Broadsword. Why? I think my guy was taught to use a sword before he went to the Kai Monastery, and he's good at it, but that's not where his heart is.
Anyway, next step. Equipment! I get a green tunic and cloak, as I'm a Kai initiate. I start with (roll) 16 Gold Crowns. I get a map, and a broadsword (duh), and then I get five choices off a list. Let's see now. Well, how about a chain mail waistcoat and a helmet, which adds a total of 6 to my Endurance. Oh, wait, no, they add to my "Defence". I'll take a Meal (this game tracks hunger, which I actually like - also if you have the Hunting discipline you don't have to use Meals). I'll take a Potion of Laumspur (healing potion, basically), and a lantern, and that'll do it.
Now I choose a name, and there are random tables! Neat! Let's see, four rolls gives me...Brave, River, Stern, and Moon. I don't love "stern," actually. so I'll skip that one. How about Brave River?
And if I were doing Initiate chargen, that'd be it, but since I'm a MASTER we've got a few more steps. Kai's Favor; basically points that I can spend to get a bonus on stuff. I get two points (one for free, one because my Endurance is low).
Traits! These are just little advantages for the character, Physical, Mental, Special. I get two. Let's see now...I'll take Insightful (gives me a bonus to solve riddles and investigate stuff), and I'll take Savant, which attaches to a skill or discipline. I'll attach it to Weaponskill, I think.
And now I get two skills, both rated +1. Well, Investigate, I think, makes sense. And then Vocation (Blacksmith), how about.
Next! Defense! It's just the totals from my armor, which is 3. Easy-peasy.
That's basically it, actually. Brave River is the son of a blacksmith, but this blacksmith was a merc in his younger days and taught his son to swordfight. He was delighted to discover that the boy seemed to have a natural talent for combat, but the boy was happier learning about plants and nature and so forth. So dad shipped him off to the Monastery (perhaps not fully understanding what the Kai Lords were about?). Brave River has learned a lot there, but he's a little dismayed that his combat skills are still so highly prized.
Brave River is tall, broad, and has full lips, brown hair, and brown eyes. His mouth is usually open just a bit, and he lopes more than walks.

No comments:
Post a Comment