Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Character Creation: Super Heroes Unite!

Wasn't necessarily planning on doing something this simple, but what the heck.

The Game: Super Heroes Unite!
The Publisher: DD Art Studio 
Degree of Familiarity: None, but there ain't much to it
Books Required: Just the one

This game, only 12 pages long (and about half of that is fold-up minis, including dice, for crying out loud) is designed to be a supers RPG that parents can play with kids. That's a setup I have some experience with, of course, and I gotta say, there's simple and then there's simplistic. But, what the heck, it's not like my commentary on the game construction is necessary, so let's just make a superhero.

Oh, wait, one thing: "Keep in mind this game is meant to be kept very simple, so rules are not necessarily meant to make 'sense.'" What the hell. If it's simple, it needs to make sense, otherwise you're just telling the kids what happens and making shit up rather than including them and letting them figure out the game.

Look, free play is awesome, but if you're making a game with numbers and rules, that's necessarily not what you're doing. Ah, screw it.

I have three stat kinda things, Super Strength, Speed, and Intellect. I'm meant to roll a die for each of them (or roll 4 and throw out the lowest). I get 6, 5, 6. Holy cats. Oh, wait, using these traits is a d6 roll, and you need to roll equal to or less than your trait, but 6 is always a failure, so there is no benefit in having a trait of 6, is there?

Oh, wait, Defense Rating is the total of your three traits. OK, then, at least that's something. 17 Defense, and since I'm level 1 (of course this game has a level system) I have 10 Life Points.

Move is 4, I guess, for everyone. Powers, then! I get two, and I could choose them but how about I roll instead? The roll gives me Flight and Elasticity, which aren't powers you see together very often. I think I'm gonna reroll that second one. Flame Blast, sure, why not.

That's basically it, I just need to tie this all together. Let's say that my hero's name is Bonfire. He got his powers after stumbling upon a strange, alien artifact in the woods at scout camp (there's nothing that says these characters have to be kids, but the game is meant to be for kids, so that's kinda where my brain went). Bonfire's super-outfit is a red hoodie and black pants, but he creates a fiery halo that make it look all shimmery. The alien artifact also made Bonfire super-smart, but he's still pretty young, so his knowledge base is limited. And I've already put way more thought into this than the game really demands, so I think I'll stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment