The Game: Spirit Island
The Publisher: Greater Than Games
Time: It took us nearly 3 hours, but it's a complex game; a second playthrough would be a lot faster
Players: Me, Michelle, Amanda, Toasty
![]() |
| The bare island |
The basic premise is that invaders have come to the island of the Dahan, and you're playing the spirits of the island trying to drive said invaders back into the sea. Problem is, the invaders multiply like rabbits, and they bring blight with them, which destroys the spirits' presence.
Now, that all sounds very simple, but the game is not. It progresses in multiple phases, each of which has multiple sub-phases. As the spirit, you have to track several difference resources. Check it:
That's my spirit board. The yellow thingies are my presence, which get added to the island board to track where my spirit has influence. As they get taken off the board, I get more energy every turn, or I can play more cards per turn, depending on which track I take them from. I can take cards to gain more powers, and then I spend energy to activate powers, and the powers generate elements, which then fuel my innate powers. And all of that is just shit I have to keep track of, none of that even gets into the invaders.
![]() |
| These fuckers here. |
That there is the invader board. That weird stack of turtle-looking things is the supply of Fear Markers (we just called them "fear turtles"). Fear is a good thing; you're putting the fear into the invaders, and once all the little turtles get moved down into the green area (the turtle moves), you get a fear card, which has a detrimental effect on the invaders.
![]() |
| We...did not win. |
But for all that, it's a lot of fun, and it's very satisfying to move the little turtles as a representation of scaring the hell out of invading colonizers.
Keep? Yep.






No comments:
Post a Comment