The Game: Cthulhu Wars
The Publisher: Petersen Games
Time: Two hours, I think? It'll move faster next time
Players: Me, Michelle, Al, and Gus
Game Play: I would really love it if my phone would stop randomly not keeping the pictures I take, but that's neither here nor there.
Anyway, the basic premise here is that the world has ended, the Great Old Ones are returning and battling it out, and we're fighting to see who achieves ultimate mastery of the ruined husk of the world. The factions include Great Cthulhu himself, the Black Goat of the Woods, the Yellow Sign, and so on. That's all very well, but look at these.
![]() |
| Great Cthulhu and his peeps. |
![]() |
| The doomed canvas. |
Anyway, the game itself: You start with an open gate and six of your cultists on the map, and then every turn you get a certain amount of Power that you can use to move your guys, summon monsters (or a Great Old One), open new gates, or do battle with other players. In addition, you have six spellbooks that you access by doing various things (the book flat-out compares it to achievements in a video game; some of them are as easy as "kill a dude in battle" and some are a little more involved).
![]() |
| Gus and the Black Goat, Shub-Niggaruth. |
Every turn, you get some Doom points for having open gates. You can get more by performing a ritual, but it eats a lot of your Power for the turn (and eats more the more people do it). In addition, you get Elder Signs for doing various things, and those give you Doom Points, but they remain hidden until the end of the game.
![]() |
| The world in crisis. |
First player to 30 Doom Points who also has all six spellbooks ends the game, and then the Doom Points get tallied, and then the player with the highest Doom total and all six spellbooks wins. There's also an "everybody loses" condition where the Annihilation Track (OH DID I NOT MENTION THAT) runs out before anyone gets to 30 Doom.
![]() |
| Seriously, look at all these damn things. |
In the end, Gus won because they took great advantage of the Black Goat's fecundity. I wasn't nearly aggressive enough with my dudes (Great Cthulhu is not someone to be shy with). I great look forward to playing again; this game's a lot of fun. Also I have an expansion.
Keep? Hell, yeah.





No comments:
Post a Comment