We're goin' down to raid the tuck shop!
The Game: Hellcats and Hockeysticks
The Publisher: Corone Design
Degree of Familiarity: None. I read it because I was going to run a one-shot in Seattle, and then that didn't happen.
Books Required: Just the one, which I have.
OK, so our characters (I'm doing this alongside Michelle) are girls at St. Erisian's, a private girl's school in England. The game is inspired by some TV shows or something set at something called "St. Trinian's." We don't have any Trinians in America (sounds like a Star Trek race), so I'm kind of flying blind.
The first thing the book asks us to consider why we're at St. Erisian's. I could play a transplanted American, but eh. I can do a passable English accent.
I'll say my character - Stella Dunwich - is a St. Erisian's legacy. Her mother, grandmother and two aunts all went there. And they raved about how much fun it was, to the point that Stella couldn't wait to go. And then she got there and...good lord, is she missing something? This place is horrible. Insane, and not in the fun and goofy way, in the "these people are fucking insane" way. But she doesn't want to break her mother's heart, so she keeps it low. For now. She might hit the breaking point. (Michelle adds, "And go all GLADoS?" Yes.)
OK, next step! Clique! Stella, I think, is kind of clueless in a sweet and innocent way. That makes her a Sweetheart. My special power is Butter Wouldn't Melt (no one thinks me capable of misdeeds).
Now I get 20 skill points, 5 of which have to be spent on my clique skills (which are English, Social Studies, Drama and Veterinary). I think I shall be looking up these skills. (Do note, too, that the names of the skills are deliberately mimicking class subjects, which misleads a little. If I want to lie or cajole, I'm using English.)
Drama 1
English 1
Social Studies 3
Veterinary 2
Computer Science 2
Current Affairs 1
Games (Track and Field) 1
Maths 2
Religious Studies 2 (this is the occult skill, and I'm thinking Stella knows more than she realizes)
Now, Willpower. We all begin with 10 points. Easy enough.
I can choose a personality trait, if I wish. There's no real game effect, just a way to define Stella's personality. I know what I want, though (it's not on the list). I pick Random. Stella has this weird habit of just saying things, sometimes things that have no immediate antecedent. Think River Tam without the psychic powers.
Now we choose Best Friends and Rivals. These would be people in the group that are, well, best friends or rivals. That is, we're all friends, but one person (for each of us) is just someone that we can't stand for whatever reason. Since there are only two of us, however, it advises us to pick which the other is, a Best Friend or a Rival.
Well, Moira is my Best Friend. She's Scottish, which is exotic (yes, that's how freaking sheltered Stella is), and she's gothed out and beautiful. She's tragically hip and edgy and sullen. Stella has kind of a girl-crush.
But, I have to have a Secret Loathing about her. It's this: Moira talks in her sleep. And she says horrible, blasphemous things, calling down the souls of her dead parents to wreak vengeance! That or she's naming all of the Cure albums, it's actually hard to tell.
And that's me done, actually. Rock on!
The first thing the book asks us to consider why we're at St. Erisian's. I could play a transplanted American, but eh. I can do a passable English accent.
I'll say my character - Stella Dunwich - is a St. Erisian's legacy. Her mother, grandmother and two aunts all went there. And they raved about how much fun it was, to the point that Stella couldn't wait to go. And then she got there and...good lord, is she missing something? This place is horrible. Insane, and not in the fun and goofy way, in the "these people are fucking insane" way. But she doesn't want to break her mother's heart, so she keeps it low. For now. She might hit the breaking point. (Michelle adds, "And go all GLADoS?" Yes.)
OK, next step! Clique! Stella, I think, is kind of clueless in a sweet and innocent way. That makes her a Sweetheart. My special power is Butter Wouldn't Melt (no one thinks me capable of misdeeds).
Now I get 20 skill points, 5 of which have to be spent on my clique skills (which are English, Social Studies, Drama and Veterinary). I think I shall be looking up these skills. (Do note, too, that the names of the skills are deliberately mimicking class subjects, which misleads a little. If I want to lie or cajole, I'm using English.)
Drama 1
English 1
Social Studies 3
Veterinary 2
Computer Science 2
Current Affairs 1
Games (Track and Field) 1
Maths 2
Religious Studies 2 (this is the occult skill, and I'm thinking Stella knows more than she realizes)
Now, Willpower. We all begin with 10 points. Easy enough.
I can choose a personality trait, if I wish. There's no real game effect, just a way to define Stella's personality. I know what I want, though (it's not on the list). I pick Random. Stella has this weird habit of just saying things, sometimes things that have no immediate antecedent. Think River Tam without the psychic powers.
Now we choose Best Friends and Rivals. These would be people in the group that are, well, best friends or rivals. That is, we're all friends, but one person (for each of us) is just someone that we can't stand for whatever reason. Since there are only two of us, however, it advises us to pick which the other is, a Best Friend or a Rival.
Well, Moira is my Best Friend. She's Scottish, which is exotic (yes, that's how freaking sheltered Stella is), and she's gothed out and beautiful. She's tragically hip and edgy and sullen. Stella has kind of a girl-crush.
But, I have to have a Secret Loathing about her. It's this: Moira talks in her sleep. And she says horrible, blasphemous things, calling down the souls of her dead parents to wreak vengeance! That or she's naming all of the Cure albums, it's actually hard to tell.
And that's me done, actually. Rock on!


No comments:
Post a Comment