Sunday, November 28, 2010

Character Creation: Ganakagok

"Ganakagok" scans to "Mah Ná Mah Ná", so that's in my head now. 

 The Game: Ganakagok
The Publisher: Consensus Games
Degree of Familiarity: I just ran it, in fact.
Books Required: Just the one, plus a deck of cards.

 

As I mentioned the other night, this is all done with interpretation and dealing cards and so on. Normally we'd have a group and have already dealt out cards to established the situation of Ganakagok and the Nitu people, but there are a few examples in the book, so I'm gonna use one of those.

One of the examples has a great quake creating cliff of ice, separating the village from the rest of the island. In the ice, we can see artifacts and things from the Forgotten Ones. And folks have just returned with lots of food and whale blubber and whatnot, unaware that our troubles are just beginning.

So, my chargen starts with dealing 3 cards:

Truth-Vision: This card deals with why I know that something is changing in my homeland. I draw the Three of Flames - the walrus at rest. Means to be content amidst plenty. Hmm. I think my character was content after the hunting party got back, and then after a large meal, he saw something moving in the ice. Might have just been fire playing on the massive cliff, but he looked deep and realized that there were treasures to be had. And that lit a fire in his heart, to possess those treasures and share them with the People.

Change-Hope: This is what my character hopes the changes will bring. I draw Two of Flames, the cannibal-ghoul. To desire, wish or will. Ooh, that works. My guy wants. He's hungry for more. More trinkets, more shiny jewels, more food. He hopes that he can find a way to free the riches from their icy prison, even if it shatters the ice. I also start with 2 Good Medicine. Oy.

Change-Fear: This is what I'm afraid might happen due to the changes. Eight of Stars, two walruses battle. My guy is afraid that the riches will pass us by, that rival tribes - hell, let's name one. Let's say that the Nitu used to trade with a tribe called the Gray-Eyes. They were good crafters and furriers, while the Nitu were better at hunting and making stuff out of bone. And now my guy is afraid they'll to the rich stuff first! 8 Bad Medicine. That's not horrible; I might actually come out of a game with a happy ending.

Name and Identity: This isn't too hard. My character's name is Shuntuk. His identity is "greedy ice-climber."

Divide up points. I get 10 points to divide up between Body, Mind, Face and Soul. Minimum is 1, max is 4. I put 4 into Body (ice climber, seems appropriate), two into Face, 1 into Mind and 3 into Soul (Soul deals with luck). Looks good. Shuntuk isn't real smart, but that's appropriate.

Mana. I used Mana to actually compose my dice rolls. I figure he's better with tasks out on the ice, which is Forgotten Ones Mana. I'll put 4 in there. I'll put 2 into Ancestors (he's not incapable of dealing with village stuff, it's just not his forte), two into Sun and and two into Stars.

Gifts. I get three personal Gifts, much like traits in Dogs in the Vineyard. Well, Shuntuk has a set of bone ice-climbing picks and ropes. He's always been good at climbing up steep, slippery slopes of ice.

I decide that Shuntuk is recognized as having the eyes of a diving eagle (apparently there are ice-eagles here).

And finally, Shuntuk has boundless energy.

I can use these gifts to shift dice when they apply.

Burdens: And now of course, the bad stuff. Sins are one of the things you can use for Burdens, so I'll say that Shuntuk once ate before the chieftain, and is known for having a greedy appetite. That's just one point (unlike Gifts, Burdens are rated).

Shuntuk is also afraid of wolves. Silly of him; wolves don't attack people, especially in numbers, but wolf howls just freak him out.

Finally, Shuntuk has a scar. He was lashed for stealing his brother's food when he was younger and has the scars on his arms to prove it.

Now, normally I'd add relationships and stuff to the map, and with this character I'd definitely add something like a wolf hunting ground or a Spire of Ice or something, but all of that requires a group, and it's just me. So I'm done with Shuntuk, in fact. And headed to bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment