I started running this game Monday. I'm really liking it, for a number of reasons. I love the notion of a criminal gang being all sneaky and stuff, I love the kinda Dishonored-ish setting, and I really am looking forward to playing with the system.
But, you know, I like to make characters for games that I run so let's fucking do that! (Woooo.)
The Game: Blades in the Dark
The Publisher: Evil Hat Productions
Degree of Familiarity: I've read it, and it uses a system that's kinda like PbtA.
Books Required: Just the one.
So, first thing I need to do is pick a playbook. It says to play a Lurk if you want to sneak around in the shadows, and boy-howdy, that sounds like fun. I'ma make a Lurk.
Next up, I choose a Heritage. I think I want to be Tycherosi, supposedly part-demon. My character gets a telltale, which in his case I'm gonna say are utterly black, slightly-too-large eyes. Neat! I get to add a detail, so I'll say he was adopted by a blind Iruvian, an old merchant who didn't care about his weird-ass unsettling eyes because he couldn't see them.
Now we choose a Background, which is what he did before becoming a professional scoundrel. I'm gonna go with trade. He was a shopkeeper; he ran a spice stand in Nightmarket. I'll add former spice dealer as the detail (presumably he inherited the shop from his adopted father).
Next, we assign four Action Dots. I already get Finesse and Prowl. I'm gonna take Hunt, Tinker, Sway, and...hmm. I kinda feel like Study might be appropriate, but then, Attune is useful, too, and that would give me two resistance dice in each area (see, it's different when you've played the game before you make the character). I'm gonna go with Study, actually.
Special ability! Ooh, I really like Ghost Field (which lets me become shadowy and insubstantial briefly), but then, Shadow is groovy, too - that would let me perform Kevin-like feats of leaping and silence. I think I'll do that.
Now I get a close friend and a rival. For my friend, I'll take Darmot, the Bluecoat. He was a friend of my adopted father and stopped by the shop every now and then to get a particular smoked salt that he liked. As a rival, I'll take Frake, a locksmith. She takes my skills as a burglar personally.
Choose my vice! My vice is Pleasure. He has very sensitive skin, so he goes to Madame Tesslyn at the Red Lamp (a brothel). He doesn't always indulge in sex, though - more often he pays the girls (or, y'know, whoever) to stroke him with various silks and textured things.
Name, alias, and look. OK, then! His name is Sesereth Karstas, but on the streets he's called Silk. He wears loose silks, soft boots, and pulls a scarf up over the lower half of his face when working. He speaks softly, and has a faint Iruvian accent. His eyes, as mentioned, are just a little too big, and are completely black.
That's it!


No comments:
Post a Comment