Sunday, May 1, 2016

Sunday Post #2: Character Creation: Beyond

So, I was planning on doing a character that required a bit more work today, and then I got wrapped up in updating my list and printing some errant character sheets and stuff, so I need to do a low-work character today. I did think about Feng Shui 2nd Ed, but eh, I'll do that sometime this week when I have a few minutes (my resolution this week is to spend less time playing X-Com).

But I have another game I can do.

The Game: Beyond
The Publisher: Zero Point Information
Degree of Familiarity: None with this game, but the game is 2 pages long and it's not terribly complicated.
Books Required: Just the PDF.

I think I got this game in a bundle, either that or I bought it when +Stew posted about it originally. In any case, it's Pay What You Want, so give it a look.

In Beyond, you're playing a ghost, but the experience is pretty distilled (as opposed to some other games). One player in a given scene controls Entropy, the force that pulls all the ghosts down into nothingness. Ghosts work to resolve the questions they're face with (which double as character creation, as we'll seen in a minute).

The system uses color-coded d6s; you get successes on low rolls but Pathos on high ones. Entropy can use Pathos to damage ghosts, crossing out questions.

All in all it looks pretty simple; as usual I think an example of play would not go amiss. But let's make a dead guy.

What Was Your Name? Let's call him Jeff Tylinski.

What Did You Do? Jeff was a FedEx driver. He had a degree in psychology and just hadn't figured out what to do with it.

How Did You Die? Jeff was making a delivery to a kiosk at a mall (some materials that the owners sent out to the franchisees; Jeff doesn't know what was in the box) when some 20-something, pissed off at the world, pulled an AR-15 out of his coat and started firing. Jeff was dead before he heard the first shots. 12 other people died that day, but Jeff hasn't seen any of them around.

Who Remembers You? Jeff's roommate was his best friend from college. Lynch was in basically the same position as Jeff; educated but underemployed. They were close. Jeff was actually kind of happy when Lynch got turned down for a well-paying job that would have taken him out of state.

Why Did You Not Pass On? What Emotion Held You Back? Jeff supposes his should be pissed at how he died, but he didn't really have time to get angry about it. I think Jeff didn't pass on because he felt frustrated - like he was dumped into adulthood with no clear picture of what he was supposed to be doing and afraid of what that meant for the future. That's not exactly traditional ghost story stuff, but I think I'm OK with that. I think if we confronted this question in a scene it would be Jeff dealing with a kid very much like the one who shot him; frustrated at the world and unable to express it or cope.

What Does Your Darkness Want? What Emotion Drives It? Ooh. Well, I think his Darkness is the guy who shot him, or someone very much like him. It's driven by entitlement, the notion that because Jeff played by the rules and got a degree and so forth, he deserves something, that the promise of a comfortable life was in some way a promise. His Darkness is the ugly, sticky rage of the guy who started shooting. Jeff wasn't like that...but then, the voice says otherwise.

What Was the First Gift that Death Brought? The Second? These are ghosty powers. I'll take Wisp (making a little glowy ball that can flummox electronics) and Haunter (making walls bleed and form messages).

And that's it, actually. Interesting little game, this.